Doctor insights on:
Are There Acl Injuries That Are So Severe That You Cannot Repair Them
Yes: Most acl tears cannot be repaired and must be reconstructed to restore the anatomy. Reconstruction means taking another ligament and putting it in the place of the old acl. Repair refers to the sewing together of torn pieces of the acl. The results of repairs of tears are simply not as good as reconstruction so it really is not an option for tears. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Strengthen: Probably the best way would be to work on hamstring and quad strengthening exercises especially in the offseason the use of plyometric exercises also would be beneficial. If you have significant instability, the use of a stabiliztion brace might prevent more significant injuries. But preseason conditioning would be the key in my mind. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: No they don"t.Get a more detailed answer ›
Female athletes: There is certainly an increased incidence of acl tears in female athletes. This has been studied quite extensively, and the consensus is generally that it is related to the way many female athletes jump and land. There is sime vewry good preseason training programs to improve strength, balance and flexibility, that has been shown to decrease the incidence of acl tears. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Certainly: Vitamin supplements are an excellent source to balance our diet and prevent inadvertent deficiencies. However, it is not generally needed to help an acl heal. An acl generally cannot heal on its own, so no amount of supplementation will change that. After ran acl reconstruction, we are often deconditioned, so supplements can help. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there certain foods that should be avoided when you have polycythemia vera?
- Are there cold medicines that are ok to take when you are on coumadin?
- Are there any supplements that make you taller?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there any medications for glaucoma that you should take before flying?
- Are there any factors that makes someone more prone to having meniscus injuries?
- Is there any way that you can tell if you are pregnant within the first 3 weeks?
- Are there contact lenses you can wear at night that correct your vision?
- Talk to a sports medicine specialist online for free