Doctor insights on:
Are Some People More Prone To Getting Vasovagal Syncope
I have vasovagal syncope when I see a bunch of blood, but I need to get it treated before I enter medical school in 2 years.
Vasovagal response : You are not alone. Many people who became doctors have fainted at the first sight of blood. Fear of the unknown, overwhelmed by all the stimulation, lack of sleep, and hunger can create the perfect storm and lead to a vasovagal response. As you become more comfortable and through repetition (habituation) this queasiness will resolve. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
A Drop in Heart Rate: Vasovagal syncope refers to passing out when the vagus or 10th cranial nerve is stimulated. One important function of the vagus is to slow your heart down. Any activity that increases the pressure inside your abdomen can stimulate the vagus. So vasovagal syncope often happens when one is bearing down to try to urinate as in elderly men standing at the toliet. ...Read more
Common fainting: When the nerve vagus causes a fainting spell. Usually this happens in responds to a recent stimulus like when injecting needles, watching blood, during medical procedures, while fasting, while standing for long periods, while in fear or panic. When there is no other obvious cause for fainting it is said that is called "vasovagal syncope". There are other causes of syncope or loss of consciousness. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: Sometimes vasovagal syncope is sel limiting, others it is a recurrent problem and requires attempts to treat with medications. The most important thing is attempting to stay hydrated and eat small frequent meals. If you feel like you are about to pass out sit down and put your head in between your legs or lie down on floor so if you do pass out you don't hurt yourself. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are some people more prone to getting yellow skin?
- Are some people more prone to getting urinary retention?
- Are some people more prone to getting whipples disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are some people more prone to getting heart attack?
- Are some people more prone to getting cerebral contusion?
- Are some people more prone to getting pseudogout?
- Are some people more prone to getting varicocele?
- Talk to a cardiologist online