Doctor insights on:
Are Some People More Prone To Getting Rheumatic Fever
Not anymore: Since the development of antibiotics (penicillin in particular) especially in developed countries with adequate access to medical care the number of patients that develop rheumatic fever has decreased dramatically as streptococcal throat infections are better diagnosed and treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
20 million: Worldwide, it is estimated that as many as twenty million people (mostly children aged 5-15) develop rheumatic fever each year; most of these cases occur in developing countries. In the United States, it is estimated that there may be as few as 2 cases per 100, 000 people each year which equals about 6000 cases. ...Read more
Group A strep: Rheumatic fever is an inflammatory condition which uncommonly follows group a strep infections of the throat. It may affect joints, movement, skin and heart valves. The course is difficult to predict, but should be followed closely. Your doc needs to help you understand the treatment and plan. ...Read more
My husband was told he needs heart surgery for mitral valve regurgitation and his aorta valve. My husband has been told he needs heart surgery for valves in his heart. Should he get a 2nd opinion? Also i had rheumatic fever as a child. I was told about
Several thousand: The cdc estimate for rheumatic fever in the us now is somewhere between 2-11 cases per 100, 000 people. In under developed countries, where basic health care is not available to most people, the rates of acute rheumatic fever are much higher. ...Read more
Varies with study: One quoted number is 1 per each 200 untreated strep A infections. However, the data is hard to verify. In the third world, where access to care is limited and sore throats ignored, rheumatic heart disease is one of the more common causes of death. In the US, it pops up occasionally. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are some people more prone to getting cough and fever?
- Are some people more prone to getting fungal infection?
- Are some people more prone to getting bacterial infection?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are some people more prone to getting tick bite?
- Are some people more prone to getting interstitial pneumonia?
- Are some people more prone to getting deep venous thrombosis?
- Are some people more prone to getting atypical pneumonia?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free