Doctor insights on:
Are Some People More Prone To Getting Rheumatic Fever
20 million: Worldwide, it is estimated that as many as twenty million people (mostly children aged 5-15) develop rheumatic fever each year; most of these cases occur in developing countries. In the United States, it is estimated that there may be as few as 2 cases per 100, 000 people each year which equals about 6000 cases. ...Read more
Not anymore: Since the development of antibiotics (penicillin in particular) especially in developed countries with adequate access to medical care the number of patients that develop rheumatic fever has decreased dramatically as streptococcal throat infections are better diagnosed and treated. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Group A strep: Rheumatic fever is an inflammatory condition which uncommonly follows group a strep infections of the throat. It may affect joints, movement, skin and heart valves. The course is difficult to predict, but should be followed closely. Your doc needs to help you understand the treatment and plan. ...Read more
My husband was told he needs heart surgery for mitral valve regurgitation and his aorta valve. My husband has been told he needs heart surgery for valves in his heart. Should he get a 2nd opinion? Also i had rheumatic fever as a child. I was told about
Each person is diff: It depends on the symptoms one can have, we see it mostly in children and rare in the us, it occurs 2 to 4 weeks after a strep infection - can involve the joints, the skin, the heart, the brain. Fever is where it gets it name. It was said in skips the joints but can bite the heart and cause heart damage. The cure is to prevent it with treatment of the group a strept throat infections. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are some people more prone to getting cough and fever?
- Are some people more prone to getting yellow skin?
- Are some people more prone to getting urinary retention?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are some people more prone to getting heart attack?
- Are some people more prone to getting cerebral contusion?
- Are some people more prone to getting pseudogout?
- Are some people more prone to getting varicocele?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free