Doctor insights on:
Are Progeria And Werner Syndrome The Same
Werner syndrome is a disorder of early and rapid aging that begins in adolescence or early adulthood. Most individuals with Werner syndrome appear of old age by the time they are 30 or 40 years old. Wrinkled skin, being of short height, baldness, and muscular ...Read more
I think so I have werner syndrome. Everyone tells me that i look older than i really am. What should I do?
See a physician: Werner syndrome is a rare genetic disorder that appears in childhood and adolescents. Although premature aging is one of the features, there are many others including muscle and subcutaneous tissue loss, thickening of the skin (scleroderma changes), premature hair greying/baldness, skin ulcers. It should be diagnosed by a specialist, not by your friends. ...Read more
It is genetic: It is caused by a rare recessive genetic mutation causing degeneration of the "telomere" part of the chromosome, leading to premature aging. Each parent of someone with the disease would have one copy of the gene and neither parent would be affected. ...Read more
Who knows???: First we need to understand the cure or Rx for progeria, then it can be tested to see if it has broader application. In the meantime, we know a lot about what shortens life: obesity, lack of exercise, smoking and complications of those like diabetes, heart disease, chronic lung disease, but most of us would rather have a pill than do the hard work it takes to stay fit. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are sepsis and toxic shock syndrome the same?
- Are copd and emphysema the same thing?
- Are shingles and herpes the same thing?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are bone cysts and bone spurs the same thing?
- What are the cause and effect of fetal alcohol syndrome?
- What are the causes and symptoms of down syndrome?
- Are claritin and zyrtec the same effectiveness when use for allergic rhinitis?
- Talk to a pediatrician online