Doctor insights on:
Are Old People More Likely To Die From Leg Amputations
Our doctor is suggesting amputation for my 69-year-old grandmother's leg deep wound. Isn't she too old for an operation?
Not necessarily: In medicine we make decisions based on risk assessment. If it is more risky for your grandmother to keep the leg wound than to have her leg amputated, then an amputation is the right decision. Age alone is not a contraindication to any procedure. As long as she does not have any other medical co-morbidities, surgical risks can be managed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I have AVN in my right femur, tibia, and both knees. I'm 28. Am I going to have to get my legs amputated at an older age?
Highly unlikely: The most important question is to find out why you have AVN in multiple joints. You will then need to find an orthopaedist that will be there for you for many, many years. ...Read more
Serious problems: Serious conditions such as severe infections or very low blood flow to the leg can lead to amputation. Sometimes a serious infection can get into the bone causing osteomyelityis, and sometimes antibiotics do not always work. Low blood flow risks are increased in cigarette smokers and diabetics. Ischemic or infected tissues can sometimes cause serious troubles, negatively affecting other organs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
All structures Cut: During a leg amputation, the surgeon starts by making a skin incision. This is designed to help in the closure of the stump. Next the muscle fascia is cut, followed by the muscles. The primary nerves, arteries and veins are then ligated ( tied off ). Next the bones are cut with a saw and the cut edges are filed down. Finally a flap of muscle tissue is used to cover the bone and the skin is closed. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is it likely that you will die from a blood clot in the legs?
- Do people die from shingles?
- Can people die from anemia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why are some people more likely to develop multiple fractures than others?
- Why are some people more likely to develop bruises than others?
- Why are some people more likely to develop arachnoiditis than others?
- Why are some people more likely to develop chilblains than others?
- Talk to a vascular surgeon online for free