Doctor insights on:
Are Cold Sores Always Herpes
My boyfriend always gets cold sores below his lip, I did a herpes test and I don't have it, are cold sores always caused by herpes? If not, what?
Oral herpes: From this description, probaby your bf has oral herpes (cold sores). It is always caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1). But it it's not so easily transmitted; most partners don't catch it. With your negative blood test, he shouldn't kiss or perform oral sex on you during an outbreak. Transmission might still occur, but not likely; and easily treated if it happens and you start Rx early ...Read more
Also referred to as fever blisters, cold sores are small, painful fluid-filled blisters that are usually found around the lips. Cold sores are generally caused by the herpes simplex virus 1 which is related to herpes simplex virus 2 that causes genital herpes. Cold sores are very contagious and can be spread by mouth to mouth contact. They can spread to the genitalia and cause genital ...Read more
There are different types of herpes infections; herpes simplex infection of mouth (gingivostomatitis) and lips (labialis) are the most common. Others include genital herpes, and herpes zoster. Herpes infection could very mild to very dangerous depending on the type and location of the body affected. I ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do cold sores always mean herpes?
- Do cold sores always hurt?
- Do cold sores always blister?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are all cold sores caused by herpes?
- Is herpes and cold sores the same thing?
- Cold sores herpes simplex 1
- Oral herpes vs cold sores
- Talk to a dermatologist online