Doctor insights on:
Are Children More Susceptible To Sepsis
Infection in the blood is also known as Sepsis. Sepsis is a condition in which a person has a blood infection, usually caused by bacteria. The bacteria get into the bloodstream and are spread all over the body. The infection plus the immune system's response to it causes the symptoms of sepsis, which include fever, rapid heart rate, rapid breathing, high white ...Read more
Yes, and adults too: Vaccination decreases the spread of serious bacterial infections through the population. Since the main route of spread is through children in school/daycare, vaccinating these children reduces the risk of infection and sepsis in their parents and grandparents. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: We don't know all the factors that predispose people to sepsis syndrome or septic shock, but older (age >65), malnourished, immune compromised (but with some immune system in place) , diabetic patients, and possibly morbidly obese patients are more at risk. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Are normal healthy people susceptible to sepsis, or do you have to have cancer or something bad already?
Either: Most patients who get septic do have an underlying disorder that weakens them and predisposes to severe infection. This does not have to be the case however. Sometimes individuals can get an infection in the community that is very severe and causes sepsis. ( bad pneumonia for example). This is less common however. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Sometimes: There are a number of uncommon immune disorders characterized by both reduced resistance to bacterial infections including overwhelming infections like sepsis and symptoms of autoimmune disease. Anti-tnfa monoclonals used to treat autoimmune disorders may increase the risk of sepsis. Please discuss your particular problem with your primary care physician and your board-certified rheumatologist. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are children or the elderly more susceptible to ringworm?
- Are there certain people that are more susceptible to sepsis?
- Are children or the elderly more susceptible to tuberculosis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Are there people more susceptible to scabies?
- Why are some people more susceptible to coughs?
- Are there people more susceptible to pinworm?
- Are people with autoimmune diseases susceptible to sepsis?
- Talk to a pediatrician online