Doctor insights on:
Are Blowfish Poisonous To Eat
I may have just done something very stupid. I cooked a marshmallow with a lighter. Is this potentially poisonous? I did eat the marshmallow.
Unlikely a problem: I can see that there might be a bit of hydrocarbon residual on this item (lighters don't always fully burn the fluid) but I can't see that this would hurt you. (too low an exposure to worry about) ...Read more
Probably NOT: Kids can accidentally swallow tiny spiders while playing outdoors. The amount of venom in a tiny bug should not be a problem if swallowed and digested, or if rolled around in the mouth and spit out. A big poisonous spider biting a kid inside his mouth would be bad. If a kid chomped on a spider, it's possible that venom could be absorbed in the mouth; but in the stomach, acid should disable venom. ...Read more
Oral Sex and STDs: Oral sex can transmit certain stds to the performer. For example hiv, hepatitis and herpes viruses are present in the semen. Any contact (oral or otherwise)with infected semen presents a risk of contracting those stds. Digesting semen is not harmful or dangerous in itself; the acid of the stomach would kill the virus. However, the act of obtaining it can be. If you don't like the act, don't do it. ...Read more
My daughter took the flea collar off the cat and decided to try and eat it, the packet says its poisonous to humans, what should I do?
Am I at risk for phosphorous toxicity if I eat sunflower butter every day? I love sunflower butter/honey sandwiches for lunch (alternative to peanuts)
Maybe : You would have to have the food tested for it's phosphorus content and most importantly get a blood test to see if your serum phosphorus levels are rising to toxic levels. More importantly your ingesting a lot of honey and you should be concerned about your dental health. Make sure that you clean out your mouth and brush well after you eat that stuff!! ...Read more
If i can't eat tuna for its mercury toxicity, what can I eat to have omega-3 since I have RA and taking methotrexte evry saturday & folic every sunday?
B6 toxicity is well recognized: There are a few questions that need to be asked in this case. Exactly how much B6 was the patient taking? According to recommended standards 200mg daily is the limit. Toxicity is thought to occur at levels of 1000mg. daily and above though much lower have been reported on rare occasions(100-300mg). Secondly, what exactly was the quality of her pain? Described symptoms of neural toxicity involves sensory neuropathy described mainly as burning dysesthesias and numbness. The case talks about a RADICULOPATHY. That is typically not the same type of pain as we find in chemical toxicities. Pain in the feet could very well be dysesthesias but the history could be a bit more specific there in order to attach more positive points for B6 sequelae. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16320662 ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Fugu: It depends on the type. Some of them contain the poison tetrodotoxin, making them poisonous, and there is a prestige / glamor to eating them -- they must be specially prepared by highly-trained chefs. There are a few fatalities around the world each year. If this is what you want to do, it is your decision. ...Read more