Doctor insights on:
Aplastic Anemia Lab Values
BM failure: Aplastic anemia is caused by bone marrow failure to produce all blood cells ( affecting white cell, red blood cells as well as platelet). It can be presented with pallor, fatigue/tired, lack of energy, shortness of breath on exertion, episodes of infections, bleeding episodes, increased abdominal girth due to enlargement of spleen, etc. ...Read more
Death: Within weeks or a few months.Get a more detailed answer ›
Production stops: The body continuously recycles & replaces different cells in the blood. Red cells last ~100days, platelets several hours, other cells vary. The healthy system acheives a steady state of producing cells as fast as they break down. If an event such as a toxic exposure (chloramphenacol) or tumor invasion shuts down the "factory", no new material will be made & you get low on everything. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Unfortunately, yes: Unfortunately, the very good drug for epilepsy and to some extent mood disorders, Lamotrigine can cause aplastic anemia in a very rare number of individuals. AA is present worldwide at a rate of about 4 cases per 1 million (word wide). 3.2 cases per million would be ACQUIRED such as from exposure to medication or other reasons. Usually found in younger individuals on the drug. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Pernicious anemia lab values
- Anemia of chronic disease lab values
- Lab values for iron deficiency anemia
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Handling aplastic anemia condition
- Aplastic anemia natural treatment
- What is aplastic anemia symptoms?
- What are the symptoms of aplastic anemia?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free