Doctor insights on:
Aortic Aneurysm Abdominal Mortality
Do the mortality rates in Aortic Aneurysm surgery include those that are having emergency surgery for dissections, or how are they broken out?
Aortic aneurysm is a medical condition in which there is an balloon like outpouching in the wall of the aorta, which is the largest blood vessel in the body. Most commonly, this aneurysm occurs in the segment of the aorta that runs through the abdomen. Rupture can lead to massive ...Read more
Depends on size: Rupture rates from aaa's less than 4 cm are very small. Risk of rupture at 5-5.5 cm is about 5% per year. The risk goes up quickly from there. For example, 10-20% at 6-7 cm, and 20-40% for 7-8 cm. An intervention is often recommended if the aneurysm grows more than 1 cm per year or it is bigger than 5.5 cm. Data also supports consideration for a lower threshold in women (5 cm) - rupture earlier. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on rupture: Incidence and prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)increases with age, making condition a significant issue as the population ages.Most common in elderly men and occurs in 5% to 7% of people over the age of 65 in US . Leading cause of death in men over the age of 55. Post-op mortality for ruptured AAA remains higher than 40%. AAA surgically repaired before rupture, postop mortality 1-6%. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Bulging Aorta: Ballooning of the abdominal portion of the aorta. The aorta is one of the major arteries that carry blood from your heart to the rest of the body. Sometimes patients with high blood pressure, cholesterol plaque formation can have weakened wall of this big artery, causing it to bulge ( balloon out) like when one blow air into a balloon; if ruptured, instant death can occur. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the mortality rate for abdominal aortic aneurysms?
- What is the mortality rate of abdominal aortic aneurysms?
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Fusiform infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm
- What is the nursing care for abdominal aortic aneurysm?
- What are the largest abdominal aortic aneurysm on record?
- Alternative treatments for abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Talk to a vascular surgeon online for free