Doctor insights on:
Aortic Aneurysm (Definition)
Aortic aneurysm is a medical condition in which there is an balloon like outpouching in the wall of the aorta, which is the largest blood vessel in the body. Most commonly, this aneurysm occurs in the segment of the aorta that runs through the abdomen. Rupture can lead to massive internal bleeding and death.
Rarely has symptoms: Most aneurysms are without symptoms until they begin to rupture or rapidly expand. Most are discovered on chest x-ray, ultrasound or ct scan looking for another problem typically, repair is not indicated in this location until the diameter is 5.5-6 cm. ...Read more
See 1 more doctor answer
Are there warning signs for an aortic aneurysm? Any ways to prevent one? Is there an exam that shows if you are susceptible to one?
Perhaps: Positive family history, marfans or connective tissue disease, hypertension, smoking, no absolute predictors, but good accurate exams and imaging are available. Aneurysm can affect any part of the aorta - chest, abdomen pelvis and any named vessel! so full history and exams are relevant. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Dilated aorta: Approx. 75% of aortic aneurysms are infrarenal. If the diameter of the aneurysm increases >= 0.5 cm/6mo. Period, early intervention advised. Once the aneurysm is 5cm or about twice the diameter of the non involved aorta, elective repair is advised. If 4cm dia and enlarging, repair advised to lower risk of death from exanguinating rupture. See your cardiovascular surgeon or vascular surgeon. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
X-ray: Well sometimes it can be palpated if it is in the abdomen. Or in some cases and abnormal pulsation can even be visualized. Xrays, especially a ct scan will visualize and confirm it. An ultrasound would also demonstrate the aneurysm. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- What is the life expectancy after repairing an aortic aneurysm?
- Best hospital to have abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery to repair
- Does an aortic aneurysm show up on a routine echocardiogram?
- Fusiform infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm
- What is the nursing care for abdominal aortic aneurysm?
- What are the largest abdominal aortic aneurysm on record?
- Does seeing a pulsation in my abdomen mean i have an aortic aneurysm?
- Talk to a vascular surgeon online for free