Doctor insights on:
Any Medications Alzheimer's Disease
Unlikely: Alzheimer's disease is the most common type of dementia. There are no medications-scientific or alternative-that have been shown to modify the course of the illness. Many symptoms of the disease can be helped with behavioral interventions, prescription medications and ossibly with alternative medications but it is important to know the pharmacology of alternative medications before using them. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does anyone know someone with Alzheimer's disease that is getting benefit from medication to slow the symptoms?
Symptom control: Alzheimer's disease has no cure. Symptomatic control consists of slowing the deterioration clinically observed without affecting the underlying course of the disease. Medications such as Aricept (donepezil), Namenda (memantine), and others, are examples of helpful drugs providing symptomatic control. ...Read more
A few may help: While there is no cure for alzheimer's disease, there are a few prescription medications that slow its progression. (the amount they help may or may not be clinically significant, though — researchers disagree on this point.) examples include Aricept (donepezil), Namenda (memantine), and Exelon (rivastigmine). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
They treat symptoms.: There are no disease modifying medications for alzheimer's. Atypical or newer antipsychotic medications help with delusions, paranoia, suspicousness, fearfulness and the behaviors these symptoms cause. The older antipsychotics also help but have far more side effects. There is some evidence that antipsychotics increase the risk of stroke, heart attack or death but they do help quality of life. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Several available: But, at best, these possess modest benefits. The classics include aricept, Exelon pill and patch, galantamine, Namenda ir and er, and a couple medical foods, axona and cerefolin-nac. A neurologist can help design a program, but evidence strongly suggests better outcome from combinations of the above. ...Read more
When do Alzheimer's disease for a person needs treatment medically?Does drugs affect significantly?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is there any connection between blue eyes and alzheimer's disease?
- Are there any diseases you can get from masturbating?
- Is it possible for young people in their 20s or 30s to get alzheimer's disease?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Gynecomastia any herbal medications supplements
- Are there any medications or eye drops that improve astigmatism?
- Safest arthritis medication for patients with chronic kidney disease
- Any over counter medications treating cellulitis
- Talk to a geriatrician online for free