Doctor insights on:
Ant Bites On Toddler
An antibiotic...: Like neosporin may help lubricate the scars and prevent any infection. It may also help heal the area a little quicker according to the manufacturer.See 1 more doctor answer
Probably: Fire ants sting & inject solenopsin - an alkaloid venom. This causes a welt which can become fairly swollen. Within hours to a day a sterile pustule usually forms. If the whole foot is swollen this could represent an allergic reaction. What you are describing may be a fairly normal fire ant sting reaction. When in doubt see a physician for evaluation.See 1 more doctor answer
Toddler got what we think were ant bites, next day they formed blisters that turned into oozing, open sores, and her entire calf is swollen and tight?
Keep it clean: Once an insect bites there are not many things to do. Medicines by mouth are not necessary. There are some topical agents to numb it but it will go away by itself. Teach them to not scratch it.
Just keep clean: Fire ants inject carbolic acid in their bites, which produces a sterile pustule that will self heal unless the kid contaminates the wound by scratching. Decontaminating the surrounding skin reduces the local germ population and reduces the chances of a secondary infection.See 1 more doctor answer
Fire Ants don't: Actually bite. Pinchers grip skin while stinging injects solenopsin - an alkaloid venom. Apply a 1 to 1 mix of baking soda & water to decrease pain & reaction. Or try paste of water & meat tenderizer or Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for itching. Do not squeeze or disrupt the lesions that develop. About 15% of people are allergic to fire ant stings. For anaphylactic rxn call 911 for immediate treatment.See 1 more doctor answer
Ant bite: When an ant bites there is a good chance formic acid will be introduced into the wound. Most likely the formic acid, which is an irritant is causing the itching if it does not go away quickly......See a dermatologist asap.
I wouldn't try: To drain them. You will only set yourself up for infections and possible scarring.. Instead go to the drug store and look on the itch relief section. There are some effective alternatives there. The Benadryl (diphenhydramine) line and the Hydrocortisone line (sprays, creams etc) are quite helpful. Hope this helps.See 1 more doctor answer
See Dr if many bites: For fire ant bites beyond age 2yr, oral antihistamines like Claritin or zyrtec can help block itching and swelling. Motrin, advil, or tylenol (acetaminophen) can help decrease pain and inflammation. Putting an otc cream or gel with a skin anesthetic (such as itch-x) gel can help numb the bite. Putting otc Hydrocortisone cream on the bite twice a day for a few days, up to a week, can cut down itching/inflammation.See 1 more doctor answer
Don't sratch!: These can be very uncomfortable; but scratching and picking will only make the problem worse. Hydrocortisone cream can be used on the bites topically and you can take Benadryl (diphenhydramine) orally for the itching. Both are available over the counter. They will fade within a few days. Watch for signs of infection and see your health care provider if symptoms continue past a week.See 1 more doctor answer