Doctor insights on:
Amoxicillin And Elderly People
How appropriate is a regimen of augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) and azithro for rx of nosocomial pneumonia in elderly male not responding to moxifloxacin?
Not- if right dx: I would first step back and ask how the diagnosis of nosocomial pneumoina was made? There is specific criteria for the diagnosis since it implies the presence of multidrug-resisistant bacteria, for which amoxicillin-clavulanate and azithro is less effective. The combination stated seems more appropriate for coverage of community acquired/aspiration/atypical pneumonia
Yes: The range of recommended dose for this antibiotic is 20-50 mg/kg for most infections and up to 90mg/kg for some resistant germ strains.500 mg given 3 times a day sounds like a lot but is within the recommended range. (71lb=32kg) 32x50=1500 / 3 = 3x 500.
Amoxicillin dosing: That is a question for the doctor who prescribed the Amoxicillin for you. You should not be taking old medicine or someone else's medicine. The dose would vary according to what you are being treated for and there are sometimes other factors to take into account, as well.
WHY ARE YOU ASKING: If you are allergic to a medication sure. I keep wondering why there are all these questions about dying from antibiotics. Hopefully your dr knows to write appropiate instructions on the rx. If you have trouble undersatnding, tell your dr. If you're wondering aboutgetting high on antibiotics - it's pretty silly.
As listed below: Keep in mind that most antibiotics can cause these side effects. Side-effects include nausea, vomiting, rashes, and antibiotic-associated colitis. Loose bowel movements (diarrhea) may also occur. Rarer side-effects include mental changes, lightheadedness, insomnia, confusion, anxiety, sensitivity to lights and sounds, and unclear thinking.
Call poison control: Hot line 24/ 7 at 1-800-222-1222 (American Association of Poison Control Centers) for specific guidance.
Large dose: That's quite a large dose of amoxicillin - although not really harmful. You might have some GI symptoms - nausea or cramps. The good thing, however, is the medication is not very toxic AND it has a very short half-life which means it would wash out of your system quite quickly. It is important to know more about the CIRCUMSTANCES of this incident -so I hope you would talk to a doctor right away.