Doctor insights on:
Amoxicillin And Birth Control Pills
Contraception is also known as Birth control. Contraceptiion is a means of preventing conception (or fertilization). There are hormonal and non hormonal methods of preventing sperm and egg from meeting. Talk to your doctor or clinic about what options are best for you. There are short acting methods (condoms, pills, patch, ring) and long ...Read more
No: There should be no interaction between these two medications. ...Read more
Can amoxicillin actually affect birth control pills or is that just in theory? Has there been any research or studies that prove this?
Now felt to be false: The current thinking is that except for rifampin, other commonly-used antibiotics do not alter the effectiveness of birth control pills. This is likely presuming a person is not sick with vomiting or diarrhea, or some other condition that decreases the absorption of a swallowed pill. One can look up: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12063491 ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does amoxicillin actually make birth control pills (loestrinfe) less effective or is that just a theory?
Regarding amoxicillin and trinessa birth control pills. How long should I use extra protection if i'm on them?
Yes -be careful: Antibiotics can affect birth control pills by a somewhat convoluted mechanism. (If you really need to know, it has to do with the enterohepatic cycling of the birth control pills and the 'good bacteria' living in your gut that can be killed off by antibiotics). At times like this, it is best to rely on barrier protection methods/abstain since the 'Pill' may not be 99.9% effective as it usually is. ...Read more
Yes: Many medications, including many antibiotics and estrogen containing birth control pills, are metabolized in the liver. The end result can be that the liver increases its metabolism of the birth control pills, thereby decreasing their effectiveness. For this reason, many doctors recommend that you use an alternate method of birth control such as condoms while taking any antibiotics. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does amoxicillin(500mg capsules) effect the birth control pill? I'm worried it will make my birth control be less effective and result in pregnancy.
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What can i do about birth control related nausea and vomiting change pill types?
- Period while breastfeeding and on birth control pills
- Can birth control pills give you spider and varicose veins on your legs?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid affect birth control pills?
- Can taking estrogen pills and birth control cause any health problems?
- Birth control pills and rheumatoid arthritis
- Missing birth control pills in the first week and pregnancy
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free