Doctor insights on:
Allergy To Bug Spray
Bug / insect bites with allergic reaction. Can i take hydrocortisone and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to cure?
Allergies occur when your immune system is triggered by envirionmental factors it should ignore--for example, pollen in the air, or dander on a cat or dog--and creates cells to fight against them. An allergic reaction typically causes itching, congestion, or drainage, and ...Read more
Mosquito bites.: If you have problems w generalized welts, swelling of tongue, lips, airway - you should get urgent medical care. Localized swelling ; itching - oral benadryl (diphenhydramine). Store aloe vera gel in refrigerator ; apply to affected area. Rub basil leaf on bite. It repels mosquitoes ; has anti-inflammatory properties. You can mix 2 parts baking soda w 1 part water. Stir into paste ; place it over the mosquito. ...Read more
Carpets: Carpets are a traditional source of allergy as they harbor dust mites and mold spores. If the carpet got wet in the past more mold spores will be harbored there. The carpet also stores pet dander. A newer carpet also frquently emits chemicals that are irritants. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: However the venom of bugs can render you allergic to it. ...Read more
What is the best allergy medication for seasonal allergies like pollen, dust, ragweed, hay fever, dogs, cats, hamsters etc?
There are a few: Not one medicine is better than another....Everyone's system is different...Some people get better with allegra..Others with zyrtec..Others with Claritin or even benadryl (diphenhydramine). These are now over-the-counter...Try some and read the labels. If you don't feel better, see a board certified allergist (www.Acaai.Org). Good luck. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Allergy shots: An allergist can test you for various allergies and formulate allergy shots (immunotherapy) that will slowly build up your immune system's responce to those allergens (tolerance) over time (years). Cat allergy responds well to this therapy, when given by a properly trained allergist that follows the acaai/aaaai guidelines. See an allergist for testing and to discuss therapy options. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I have a swollen face (allergic reaction to pollen, dander etc). I take cetrizine and beclometasone (nasal spray). How long before it works?
Don't know: If the airborne allergens are indeed causing your facial swelling and your swelling has not responded to cetirizine, youmay have to wait until after the exposure has stopped. If the problem is severe and avoidance impossible, a short course of Prednisone may be necessary to tie you over. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I doubt that: this has been tested. I would not rely on protecting your safety since it is not clear if it would be effective. ...Read more
No.: A bee sting allergy means you are allergic to the bee's venom, which is not in either honey or beeswax. It is certainly possible to be allergic to honey or beeswax (especially if you have a bad pollen allergy), but that's a completely separate allergy, unrelated to bee sting venom. ...Read more
I've dust-mite allergy.Should I bother about outdoor environment? or, only indoor environment?Do Veramyst and patanase help with dust-mite allergy?
Work on indoors: There are several things you can do indoors to decrease allergy symptoms from dust mites. Air filters, avoiding open shelves, get rid of carpeting, damp dusting, wear a mask while cleaning, avoid stuffed animals and other items in your bedroom that collect dust, and use an allergy cover on your pillow and mattress. Nasal steroids and nasal antihistamines do help. Outdoor environ is hard to control ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Unfortunately, no: To truly decrease dust mite symptoms, several measures are needed including encasements over bedding, hot water washing, reducing humidity and no carpet or frequent vacuuming. Some sprays kill mites, others denature mite proteins, but by themselves they are not sufficient to decrease symptoms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No.: Dr. Carter is correct. Food desensitization protocols remain experimental at this time. When and if they become the standard of care, however, they are oral programs involving swallowing or holding in the mouth initially very small and progressively larger amounts of food. Injecting food under the skin is very dangerous and has been abandoned as a method for treating food allergies. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers