Doctor insights on:
Allergic Reactions To Silver Jewelry
Metal allergy: The most common metals associated with contact dermatitis allergy are nickel, cobalt, gold sodium thiosulphate. The T.R.U.E. Test can help clarify if these metals are implicated with the contact allergy associated with rash. Here is a link for more information on the T.R.U.E. Test: http://www. Smartpractice. Com/Apps/WebObjects/SmartPractice. Woa/wa/content? F=product-truetest. Html&m=SPA ...Read more
Gold and Platinum: People who are allergic to "cheap jewelry" are usually allergic to nickel and/or chromium. Though contact allergy can occur to any metal, the lowest rates of reaction are (unfortunately for some) to the more expensive metals like gold and platinum. The higher the quality, the less likely there is for a reaction. ...Read more
It depends: "stainless steel" is a carbon based metal. However, most "stainless steel" - even so called "surgical stainless" will contain other metals in trace amounts. If people are allergic to nickel or chromium, if their stainless steel has enough of those metals in it, they might have a reaction. ...Read more
Nickel allergy: Most surgical steel allergy is to the nickel alloy. Avoid any nickel alloy plating. Yellow gold is usually safe, but avoid silver. Platinum may also be safe but check with the jeweler and ask for the purity of all metals purchased. ...Read more
18k or Platinum: My wife is a jeweler and she says platinum always works. 18k as long as no nickel is used in the mixture. ...Read more
I'm allergic to nickel as found in jewelry. Can I wear chrome plated jewelry without itching or breaking out?
Chrome over nickel: Purely "chromed" jewelry should be fine, but some are actually chromium-plated over nickel (making it more durable), thus once the chromium is worn-off exposing nickel you can still have trouble. Typically the reaction is slow and so if you start to have any trouble with the chromed/nickeled product, stop using asap and you should be fine. Topical steroid helps the rash. Consult doc. Good luck. ...Read more
Never allergic to jewelry, developing rash under wedding band set (rough, red, itchy), white gold, no rash anywhere else when wearing gold?
Wedding ring rash: Wedding ring rash is a fairly common condition. It can occur at any time, sometimes even years, after beginning to wear a ring. It can be due to an allergy to the nickel component in the metal, or to irritation resulting from extended periods of moisture, or contact with soaps or other chemicals. ...Read more
My adult son has a rash right below his neck, between his collar bones. He recently started wearing metal jewelry. Could this be an allergic reaction?
Yes: Contact allergy to nickel is very common. Nickel is used extensively in cheap jewelry. He likely won't have a problem is he wears "pure" gold or silver. ...Read more
Could I be allergic to fake jewelry, my ear lobes get real swollen, itchy, full of pus and crusty?
How many people are allergic to titanium in the surgical clips? #nqlu I had a lap. Gallbladder surgery removal I have been having a lot of problems. I have always been allergic to jewlery, I have had constant infections, skin rashes, etc.
This is a very rare allergy and your question is impossible to answer. There is no reporting system in place to document suspected or real cases of titanium allergy, therefore there is no way to know how many people are allergic to titanium. If you feel you are allergic to titanium there is a test called the melisa test. Your doctor should be able to find out where you can obtain such testing.
Good luck. ...Read more
What would happen to someone with Wilson's disease if they accidentally ate pennies or some copper jewelry. Would they die?
Won't be fatal: Today's pennies are made mostly of zinc. Copper from jewelry won't be absorbed fast enough. If a person's diagnosed with Wilson's, they're under treatment. It's the steady daily accumulation of copper while the illness is unrecognized that causes the brain damage, ruins the liver and so forth. ...Read more
I constantly drop things. Pens, silverware, jewelry... What's wrong? It'slike I cannot keep hold of it and it just falls out... Its everything!
Need to see your MD:
There can be many reasons for that, it may be a local problem with muscles. Tendons or nerves of your dominant hand, it may be a symptom of a neurological condition or another generalised disorder
you need to be evaluated with detailed history physical exam and lab and other tesrs if indicated to find the cause and treat. ...Read more
My neck is real sensitive and I am constantly gagging or dry heaving even when I have shirts or jewelry on, what is causing this?
See your doc: Could be enlarged thyroid, lymph nodes, tonsils. Get examined by a doc. ...Read more
Returned: If the person is autopsied - all belongings are either returned to the funeral home with the deceased or to the family directly. In some instances, jewerly may be left on the deceased. ...Read more
Preferably not.: It depends on the jewelry, but tongue rings could get caught in a tongue retractor, nose rings could do the same in a nasal mask (for oxygen or nitrous). It is just safer to not have anything that could come out, loosen, or snag on instrumentation. Of course, check with your surgeon for the final word. ...Read more
Contact dermatitis: Recognize which metal causes it and avoid them. If it is too much see a dermatologist. Best is to avoid all those metal products which are causing it. ...Read more
What in my body causes my clothes to discolor (fade?) and my sterling and gold jewelry to tarnish?
Sweat?: Body sweat/perspiration can discolor clothing. Pure gold (24k) is extremely soft so to make gold sturdy enough to use in jewelry, other metals are mixed with it, creating an alloy. Gold is an inert element so it doesn't tarnish, but the silver and copper in the alloy may react to the oxygen, sulfur and moisture in the air and eventually turn the gold jewelry dark. ...Read more
I have what I think is contact dermatitis from my jewelry, The weird thing is, I got this a few times, it will last a year & go & be fine & come back?
Nickle dermatitis: Most commonly this is from nickle. See if certain items cause the rash and others don't. Nickle is an ingredient in a lot of metal mixtures - it is mixed in. You need pure platinum - even gold and silver are most often mixtures ...Read more
If a set of dentures cleaned in a sonic jewelry machine becomes damaged, does that void the warranty?
No: Ultrasonic machine is a great way to clean dentures. That is what dentists often use. ...Read more
Jewelry cleaner,: Its generally ammonia or acid based. Best, if don't know rinse with white vinegar 1 oz 9oz, rinse water then swill with baking soda solution. Vinegar is acid, baking soda base. Both relatively safe. This way hit either acid or base neutralization! ...Read more
Yes: You can get a patch test by an allergist that can determine if you're allergic to different things. The most common is a nickel allergy. It can easily be diagnosed by just your history and skin reaction to the offending agent. ...Read more
Anything touching my neck or when I wear jewelry or even putting on a coat' brings a gagging or dry heaving, what could this be?
Strangulation fear: The question you are asking relates to a phobia of strangulation. It is considered a phobia. Phobias can sometimes best explore in a mental state of induced focused relaxation and attention called hypnosis. If done by an experienced and certfied professional your fear may be explored and actually disappear. There are many kind of hypnosis but regression hypnosis may be one option. ...Read more
None: They can all cause trauma.Get a more detailed answer ›