Doctor insights on:
Allergic Reactions To Insect Bites
Probably normal: Allergic reactions to insects most commonly occur with stinging insects like bees, wasps and fire ants. Local reactions to other insects are generally not allergic. Allergic reactions usually cause symptoms away from the bite. So, bitten on the toe and toe swells= not allergic. Bitten on the toe and lip swells= allergic. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Insect bites are from mosquitos, spiders, flies, ticks, and other species that use their mandibles (jaws) to attach to a person or other animal. They can then suck blood out of their "prey" and leave saliva proteins that cause itching and swelling. Other insect species, like bees, yellow jackets, wasps, hornets and fire ants actually inject venom into their prey and can not only cause localized pain and swelling, but severe, acute allergic reactions in ...Read more
Skin test or blood: When you see an allergist, they will first take a detailed history of your symptoms from the bite..And the type of insect involved, if known...Depending on the insect, a series of simple scratch tests can be done, or sometimes a blood testis done first. It depends on your reaction history. ...Read more
I have Sjogren's syndrome. I am also allergic to insect bites. Why does the "red area" seem to spread if I scratch it after a week of being bitten?
What it says.: If you get stung or bitten by an insect, and you are allergic to the insect's venom or saliva, you develop an allergic reaction to the sting or bite. Usually it's just itching, redness, and swelling around the bite, but in rare cases it can evolve into anaphylactic shock which is life-threatening. Antihistamines may help mild cases, but if you have trouble breathing or other symptoms see a doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I'm extremely allergic to insect bites esp spiders besides a ridiculous over reaction by my immune system any other possible reasons for this?
May not be allergic: Reactions to insects range from local reactions to life-threatening anaphylaxis. Spiders usually cause local reactions, which can get large and may get infected. These symptoms are due to local irritation of the skin, which results in local inflammation. Signs of anaphylaxis include a combination of hives, swelling, breathing difficulty, vomiting, passing out due to systemic histamine release ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Insect bites: Treatment will depend on the severity of your condition. It is important to note that no specific antivenom is available to counteract the poison injected by the insect. The majority of problems requiring medical treatment result from the allergic reaction to the sting. Many of the complications from an allergic reaction respond well to various medications-when given in time. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My daughter is allergic to insect bites...Age swells up and gets a rash that looks like ring worm....I dint know what to get to keep the bugs?
Insect Repellant: Considered safe for children of all ages and for pregnant women, biteblocker organic xtreme uses only plant-based ingredients, like soybean and geranium oils (formulas that use oil of lemon eucalyptus are also botanically derived, but aren't safe for kids younger than age 3). As with most natural insect repellents, protection time varies greatly among individuals -- anywhere from 90 minutes up. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Insect bites on my legs, they swell up to the size of a pint glass making it painful to walk. Am I allergic to them? Not had this reaction before?
See a dermatologist: Not an allergist. You assume these to be insect bites, and some people have exaggerated reactions to mosquitoes, but this is suspicious for something else. You need to begin with a precise definition of the problem so you will be able to get help. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
So I know I'm allergic to insect bites and thats what started my legs to itch but it's been over a week and now I'm excessively itchy and have bruises?
Is it infected?: Without physically examining your insect bite, there is only a medical guess as to what is triggering the weeping. Is it infected? This would be the 1st concern--addressing the infection is the only solution here. If the weeping is watery clear, then perhaps this is more of an allergic-type reaction that might respond to oral antihistamines such as allegra (fexofenadine). Call md if infected or not better soon. ...Read more
Many ways: If you do nothing, they go away, but itch in the meantime. To control the itch, there are many over the counter itch creams are available including Hydrocortisone (which i don't think works very well) and non-steroid containing medicated creams like gold bond lotion (which i personally like much better). There is also benadryl, (diphenhydramine) which works nicely taken orally, but may cause sedation. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Skin reactions to insect bites
- Allergic reaction to insect bite
- Allergic reaction to insect bite mosquito bites
- Allergic reaction to insect bite spider bites
- Allergic reaction to insect bite flea bites
- Allergic reactions that look like bug bites
- Is rash on abdomen a symptom of allergic reaction to insect bites?
- Is rash a symptom of allergic reaction to insect bites?
- Allergic reactions to flea bites