Doctor insights on:
Allergic Reaction To Polyurethane
Please Clarify: You cannot catch an allergy to a condom. You can develop a latex allergy which can result in rash, itching, swelling, hives, or even anaphylaxis after exposure to a condom. If this is the case use polyurethane condoms until you can be tested by an allergist to see if this is really the problem. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Essentially allergies occur when your immune system goes crazy and decides to has to fight against things it should be ignoring. The immune system of people without allergies simply ignores the pollen in the air or the dander on their cat while an allergic person's immune system creates cells to fight against the pollen or dander. The allergic reaction causes the ...Read more
Girlfriend allergic to latex are non latex really safe for me and her or will cause allergic reaction what about polyurathsne and the skyns condom ?
Latex allergies...: Latex is a plastic and has chemical stabilizers, so is not just a single ingredient. One may not know which ingredient(s) in latex items she is allergic to. That means one can't be sure that all "non-latex" items won't cause a reaction. The polyurethane and synthetic condoms can be presumed safe from latex allergies, and protect agaisnt STD's. The natural "lamb" ones may have less STD protection. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Hydrocortisone : Topical steroid creams such as Hydrocortisone 1% cream can be tried for at most 1 week to treat minor contact dermatitis to latex from condoms. Non-latex condoms can be used to prevent future reactions. Consult a dermatologist if rash is not improving. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Anaphylaxis: The most severe reaction that can occur after repeated exposure to something you are allergic to is called anaphylaxis. This rare but sudden condition causes itchy welts (hives), followed by wheezing, shortness of breath, and occasionally, swelling of the tongue or throat. Without treatment, swelling of the tongue or throat can sometimes worsen and block the airway. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Uncertain: Nobody knows why for sure but even though one may be taken the same medication, one's genes do change constantly and thus the genetic evolution may alter your immune response to the drug. Another possibility is that during an infection, particularly viral, one's immune response is heightened making one more likely to become allergic to a drug. These are just some of my thoughts yet to be proven. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Get another opinion: Allergy to foods manifests as hives. The reaction will be about the same each time. If your reaction is something other than hives there is probably some other cause. If you have not yet seen a dermatologist you should do so. Most people who claim to be allergic to a food will have no reaction when given this food under medical observation. If you have hives you need to learn how to use antihistsa ...Read moreGet help now ›
An altered reaction: The roots of "allergy" are from greek "allos" (different) and "ergos" (action). So, an allergic reaction is a "different" (from normal) reaction. The reaction occurs to an allergen. An allergen can be a pollen (ragweed), food (peanut), animal (dust mite or bee venom), or other foreign substances. Symptoms occur due to histamine and other chemicals and cause sneezing, runny nose, etc. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Let help understand?: An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system. allergic reactions occur when a person's immune system reacts to normally harmless substances in the environment. A substance that causes a reaction is called an allergen. These reactions are acquired, predictable, and rapid. Allergy is one of four forms of hypersensitivity and is formally called type i (or immediate) hypersensitiv. ...Read moreGet help now ›
Depends.: An acute allergic reaction to a food, drug or insect sting begins in a few minutes & lasts 2 to 48 hours. Pollen, animal dander, dust mite & mold allergies begin in minutes but last as long as exposure continues. For example, ragweed allergy lasts for about a month. Acute contact dermatitis (poison oak/ivy) lasts 1-2 weeks; chronic (nickel) resolves only with removal of the offending agent. ...Read moreGet help now ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Duration of allergic reactions
- How long should it take for lip swelling to go down from allergic reaction?
- How do you treat swollen lips due to an allergic reaction?
- How to tell the difference between heat rash and allergic reaction in a child?
- How to get rid of allergic reaction on face?
- Allergic reaction to neosporin
- How much benadryl to take for allergic reaction?
- How long does an allergic reaction to hair dye last?
- Talk to a dermatologist online for free