Doctor insights on:
Alcohol Toxicity Levels
Depends: The effects of alcohol on individual depends on particular individual tolerance level, and what will make one person very sick may not get another one even drunk enough, but on average blood alcohol level above 1.5 will get majority very drunk, above 0.2 in state of confusion and disorientation, above 0.4 to coma and death, however the record level of alcohol in blood i believe was 1.6 alive. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Go to a hospital: True alcohol "poisoning" is when you drink enough to not just fall asleep, but to go into a coma, and have your breathing slow down. You would not be typing your question online if you were alcohol poisoned. If you are drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly, you at greater risk of cirrhosis, heart damage, pancreatitis, many kinds of cancer and other complications than you are of poisoning. ...Read more
Life-threatening: The person consumed a toxic amount of alcohol usually over a short period. Their blood alcohol level (bal) is so high it is considered toxic (poisonous). Person may be extremely confused, unresponsive, disoriented, have shallow breathing, & can even pass out or go into a coma. Alcohol poisoning can be life-threatening and usually requires urgent medical treatment. The amount varies per person. ...Read more
Liver failure: Cirrhosis is classical, such as jaundice, large belly filled with fluid, etc. But, from the perspective of a neurologist, tremors , incoordination, gait imbalance, numbness, weakness, confusion, disorientation, epileptic seizures. Of course, coma, delirium. Sudden death. Not a pretty picture. ...Read more
Wouldn't be typing: Alcohol poisoning causes sedation and ultimately coma, and if severe, respiratory depression, brain damage, other physical damage and even death. If you are sitting and typing, you may be drunk (which is at one end of "poisoning") but you wouldn't be considered "poisoned." there was an old commercial that said- "if you are worried you might have an alcohol problem, you probably have one."get help. ...Read more
Depends...: Dying of acute alcohol poisoning, as in the case of a youngster playing drinking games, is probably painless but is a terrible waste. Dying of the long-term effects of alcoholism involves either serious brain damage or the nausea, itching, and disfigurement of liver failure. Those who die of alcohol hurt others in the process and after. Thanks for choosing to use it wisely or not at all. ...Read more
Serious: Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Drinking too much can lead to a coma and loss of protective reflexes that prevent you from aspirating and keep you breathing. People can vomit and aspirate it into their lungs. They can be so drunk, they can stop breathing. These effects are magnified if alcohol is used with other meds that are sedating, like opioids or benzodiazepines. Be careful! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Unresponsive: Alcohol poisoning essentially refers to so much alcohol in the system that normal bodily funtcions are disrupted. In this condition a person is usually unresponsive or "passed out". In its most extreme state, alcohol poisoning can cause a person to stop beathing or to lose their gag reflex which can cause choking problems, particularly if vomiting occurs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Is the alcohol in beer toxic to humans?
- Toxic blood levels of lidocaine
- What toxic chemicals are in rubbing alcohol?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can toxic levels of vitamin d inhibit the thyroid?
- Beer alcohol level chart
- Max blood alcohol level
- Talk to an addiction specialist online for free