Doctor insights on:
Acute And Chronic Hepatitis
Time course: One has to have acute hepatitis b before it becomes chronic hepatitis b. Fifty percent of patients that have acute hepatitis b clear the virus in 1 years time. However, if after 1 year, the virus is still present, then it is considered to be chronic. There are no fda approved medications for acute hepatitis b, but there are several fda approved medications for chronic hepatitis b. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Short and long: Acute hepatitis is the period of initial infection in which your naive immune system develops antibodies to the invading hep a, b or c. If everything works well your body defeats the infection and the invaders are cleared from your system. In chronic hepatitis the invading hep b or c particles evade the immune system and persist in the cells of your liver causing longstanding damage. ...Read more
Chronic: Symptomatic acute hepatitis c does happen but is likely rare (ie. Most patients don't report to medical attention) and 20% of patients will spontaneously recover. The other 80% will develops chronic hepatitis c infection which can lead to cirrhosis or liver cancer in about 20% of those cases long term. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Hepatitis symptoms: In cases of acute hepatitis you usually have an acute illness with low grade fever, mild abdominal discomfort, fatigue, achiness, and your eyes and skin may turn yellow in the acute phase (jaundice), (and your urine darker. In the chronic phase, about 10%, there are usually no symptoms till many years later, which are then caused by the development of cirrhosis and the loss of liver function. ...Read more
Can you let me know how many people with acute hepatitis get it from some one that had chronic hepatitis?
Question ?: Your question is difficult to answer due to following reasons chronic hepatitis can be caused by hep b virus and hepatitis c virus.There is different mode of transmission for hep b as it can be passed in close contacts through bodily fluid contacts, infected blood, mother to fetus passage, breast milk. Hep c is transmitted by contaminated blood and when needles are reused in some countries, not in us. ...Read more
Depends on virus: Acute viral hepatitis is a self limiting infection. Hepatitis a is only an acute infection and does not progress to chronicity. For hepatitis b, about 10-15% of patients with acute hepatitis will develop chronic hbv. In contrast, for hepatitis c, 75-80% of patients with acute hepatitis will develop chronic hcv. Chronicity develops when the immune system is unable to clear the virus. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Hepatitis C: This refers primarily to hepatitis c . Diagnosis is made after liver biopsy. It indicates some scarring(called fibrosis) in the liver. Depending upon a variety of factors(liver associated enzymes, virus load and type of hepatitis c) treatment may be recommended by your physician. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the differences between chronic and acute hepatitis b?
- What is the difference between acute and chronic hepatitis b?
- Is acute hepatitis contagious?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Symptoms of acute hepatitis b
- Acute hepatitis treatment
- Acute symptoms of hepatitis c
- Acute hepatitis panel test
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free