Top
10
Doctor insights on: Acute Alcohol Shock

Share
Dr. William Walsh
1,178 doctors shared insights

Shock (Definition)

Shock is a condition in which a person cannot circulate enough blood (carrying oxygen & nutrients) to the vital organs in the body. If shock persists, various parts of the body will stop working, and the person will die. Causes of shock include injuries, excessive bleeding, heart failure, infections, chemical imbalances, ...Read more


2

2
After two months sober post acute withdrawl still seems to be getting worse. When does this peak and how long until i can live a normal life? Alcohol

After two months sober post acute withdrawl still seems to be getting worse. When does this peak and how long until i can live a normal life? Alcohol

See your doctor: post-acute withdrawal symptoms can last for several months, but should be getting better rather than worse. Often people who drink are 'covering up' other psychological and psychiatric problems, and in the absence of alcohol these can then express themselves - anxiety, depression, PTSD and others. Your doctor can refer you to a psychiatrist to discuss. Also need regular exercise, good nutrition. ...Read more

3

3
What are the signs of acute alcohol poisoning?

See answer: Confusion, delerium, confabulation, weakness, sever fatigue, naseau, possible vomiting, tremors, and eventual comatose state. Acute alcohol poisoning needs emergent medical attention. ...Read more

4

4
Is acute alcohol ingestion the same as alcohol overdose?

Is acute alcohol ingestion the same as alcohol overdose?

Severity: Acute alcohol ingestion literally means that you have just drunk alcohol. Alcohol intoxication means that you have drunk enough alcohol that you are "drunk" or impaired (often, but not always, associated with a "high" feeling due to activation of the Dopamine reward system). Alcohol overdose or alcohol poisoning refers to drinking so much that your brain can't manage things like breathing. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
5

5
Is it possible to be allergic to alcohol and possible have it cause anaphylactic shock?

Possible, but rare: A true allergy to alcohol is not common. It is more likely to develop in people with other allergies. If it does occur, the symptoms can be severe, and it is possible for anaphylaxis to occur in rare cases. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
7

7
Is post acute withdrawal syndrome from alcohol recognized in the medical community? What kind of doctors Should I be seeking out for this?

Usually: Most doctors can treat withdrawal from alcohol. However, because this is a very serious matter, I would be upfront with every physician you see so that you can be properly medicated. Impatient treatment is the safest option. ...Read more

8

8
how long does acute alcohol hepatitis last? I had liver discomfort wen I quit drinkin.Bloods taken 2weeks after I quit. Normal. How likely I had it?

 how long does acute alcohol hepatitis last? I had liver discomfort wen I quit drinkin.Bloods taken 2weeks after I quit. Normal. How likely I had it?

Complex, no reliable: simple answer. Hepatitis is a catch-all term meaning liver inflammation. Alcohol, viral infections & fat storage from high carb intake are all drivers, yet most damage missed until severe enough, long enough. If very healthy, liver can regenerate from as much as 90% loss within 3-4 months, yet many variables. On lab, look for albumen high normal (e.g.) >4.5 mg/dL, bilirubin low & 3 enzymes low. ...Read more

9

9
What do doctors do to treat acute alcohol poisoning?

What do doctors do to treat acute alcohol poisoning?

Tx: Alcohol poisoning is usually treated by monitoring the patient & ensuring that he or she does not choke of vomitus or stop breathing. The person is given intravenous fluids (& possibly glucose or thiamin) & supplemental oxygen. Accidental ingestion of methanol or isopropyl alcohol may require dialysis. ...Read more

10

10
Can you tell me how doctors treat acute alcohol poisoning?

Can you tell me how doctors treat acute alcohol poisoning?

Supportive care: mostly. The major danger in alcohol poisoning, like that of any other sedative, is that breathing slows down and can result in lower oxygen levels and brain damage, and ultimately the heart stops too. In the US, people who are alcohol poisoned are intubated and put on a ventilator , until the alcohol levels come down. Dialysis is widely used in Russia to rapidly reduce blood alcohol. ...Read more