Doctor insights on:
Accuracy Of Ca 125 Screening
How reliable is a ab CT scan for colon cancer? Had 3, what percentage of cancers are missed in a CT scan? Trying to find stats.
Examples are: colonoscopy for colon polyp or cancer; mammograms for breast lesions or cancer; psa a blood test that could indicate enlargement of cancerous prostate tissue; blood sugar or hemoglobin a!c for diabetes. Many think that scanning the whole body will pick up a cancer--in all likelihood, it will not. There also is no good blood test, yet, ...Read more
My latest ultrasound revealed two gallbladder polyps of sizes 3 and 5 mm each. How do I determine if it's cancer? Are tumor marker tests useful now?
See below: Tumor markers are not useful for detecting early tumors and there are no tumor markers of gall bladder tumors. It is unlikely that the gall bladder polyps are cancer. You can take a watch and wait approach. Ultrasound is a safe non-invasive test that can be repeated every few months to see if the polyps are growing. If the lesion grow, gall bladder can be removed by laproscopic surgery. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
In layman's terms what does this mean: "study for detecting pancreatic cancer states: sensitivity of mrcp with respect to diagnosis PC was 84 percent and specificity was 97%." A study done on detecting PC.
Screen vs Confirm: Sensitivity means that if you had 100 people with biopsy proven PC, then 84 out of the 100 people with PC had a (+) test. Specificity means that if you had a (+) test result there is a 97% probability that you have PC and a 3% probability that you have a "false positive" (which means you do not have PC). High sensitivity tests are used to screen for a condition whereas high specificity confirms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Does testing positive on the early cdt lung cancer mage 4 suggests I have cancer? Ct was clear. All blood work ok
Proof no...: The data of this test/technology is still preliminary. With the current data we have, the word "suggest" would be accurate. Antibody biochemical assays may identify the presence of tumor/cancer years before they are large enough to find by radiology; therefore before we can actually treat. If used, results should be integrated into overall risk assessment, screening, surveillance. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Am 32 - no children yet. Best way to determine 1.Ovarian cancer-pap smear or ca 125 & 2.Breast cancer-mammography or ca 15-3 granny died of ovarian ca?
Exam: I would not recommend obtaining a ca-125 as it is a nonspecific test in patients without ovarian cancer. I would recommend a gynecologic exam. At your age, i would recommend a yearly breast exam. I would start obtaining mammograms at age 40. Hope this helps. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Nonspecific: CA 125 can go up due to any peritoneal irritation. It is best not to do this test unless there is a very good reason or your doctor suspects any particular disease. Now that you have done it, it is slightly high(should be normally under 35). You may ask your doctor to recheck it in one or two months and see if it settles down or not. Then we can decide what to do about it. ...Read more
How accurately will a fecal test find early stage colon cancer? The one that looks for cancer blood markers. Please help!! Approximate percentage.
Pretty low: Conventional assessment of colorectal cancer (CRC) risk largely involves detection of non-dysplastic adenomatous polyps. Standardized sensitivity was 48.2%, for CRC stages I-IV, values were 35.0%, 63.0%, 46.0% and 77.4%, respectively. Specificity was 91.5%. Sensitivity for advanced adenomas was low (11.2%). Ref: Mol Diagn Ther. 2014 Apr;18(2):127 & Gut. 2014 Feb;63(2):317 ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Incidental 1.5 CM liver lesion found on us & MRI (not on ct) radiologist favors benign dx; however, gastro dr now wants liver-spleen scan, cea, AFP & ca 19-9. Why? No history of ca, hep or cirrhosis.
He's being: Very thorough which is good!Get a more detailed answer ›
Stg4 uterine cancer.mom expird.how to fnd dis cancer in stg 1?any screening or periodical mri.ct and ultrasound will hlp diagnose d same in stg 1?
US screening: In certain situations the incidence of uterine Ca is high and as such screened for. When breast Ca patient in Tamoxifen which acts as an antiestrogen in breast, it acts as an estrogen on the uterus and screening for uterine Ca performed periodically with US.. When lining thickens then uterine endometrial scrapings performed to RO malignant transformation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Is accuracy of DVT detection using US below knee really 50-80%? Read about 200 medical journal articles dating 1975-2013 and all say US unreliable
You Got Kneesles?: 200?? Yikes. I must remind you that probably 50-80% (my guess) of studies are probably unreliable. Better to check for the best 20 studies and use them. Check their methods, power, inclusion and exclusion criteria, etc. But aside from that (and your wasted time) from what I know, your conclusion is still probably correct. Until the clot extends up into the larger veins above the knee, it's hard to tell. ...Read more
Prostate cancer, scheduled for rp, biopsies/6 of 8 positive 2aggressive w/ gleason of 7, CT & bone scan clear, male 55, healthy active. Prognosis?
Sequential test risk was 1/5000 and age 1/972 for DS, but sono found a white spot on baby heart. Did Harmony test, how likely will test be negative?
Pet scan 3-4mm, suv value of 1, no further evidence of disease, before surgery melanoma 0.8 mm negative sln, blood samples normal, no other signs
What are normal ranges for sws median and iqr in m/s on liver fibroscan test(model FibroScan 502 Touch)?There are 10 valid measurements out of total10
Clarification.: A liver FibroScan is used to detect fibrosis, also known as cirrhosis. The units of measurement is kPa. Based on published information, a score higher than 7.2 indicates fibrosis. A score higher than 14.5, in the presence of specific medical conditions, means cirrhosis. You should follow up with the provider who ordered the test to review your results. Hope this helped. ...Read more
Heavy blood through urethra.all test nomal kub ct, ultrasoud normal.consulted many doctors all say forget the incidence,should I?
What is the chance that smallcel lung cancer is missed on CT when fatigue&weight loss symptoms are present. I can only find stats for screening tests?
Very small. CT: resolution is down to the millimeter range, so I think it would find the tumor and visualize it,especially at this stage w/weight loss and fatigue. ...Read more
TV Ultrasound showed 6cm solid adnexal mass but ct did not show it? Only Ct findings - fluid and/or endometrial thickening in uterus. Any explination?
Possible resolution: if there was a few days or more between tests, it is possible that whatever lesion that was seen on ultrasound resolved on its own. Ultrasound uterus and ovaries is sometimes a challenge based on intestinal issues and potentially what was seen on ultrasound could have been shadows of bowel. If you continue to have symptoms, repeat imaging in 4-6 weeks could be considered. ...Read more
After ultrasound test for pancreatic cancer where would they send you if cancer showed up on the screening?
Ca-125 (cancer antigen 125 or carbohydrate antigen 125) is a biomarker/tumor marker for ovarian cancer (etc); however, it is not sensitive or specific enough to use as a screening test. Also, a uk study showed that treating based on ca125 level did not improve outcomes. "125" comes from the 125th attempt to develop a marker. It was introduced by bast ...Read more