Doctor insights on:
Accidentally Swallowed Metal
Depends: You didn't describe what the metal was or the blood. If you swallowed a jagged, sharp piece of metal or one which is in a shape which might get lodged in your GI tract or it was particularly large - it would be important to have this assessed. If you swallowed metal such as a penny, that would be likely to pass on it's own. When in doubt seek medical care. ...Read more
My 5 yr old grandson accidentally swallowed a round metal ball. Its the shape and size of a marble. How long should we wait for it to appear?
My boyfriend works at a factory and today he accidentally swallowed a very small, but sharp piece of metal. Should we be concerned?
Small/non toxic: As long as it passed through to his stomach and it is non toxic it will become coated and pass through the remainder of his digestive system. If he has symptoms of difficulty swallowing, vomiting, abdominal pain, blood in his stool or if it is a poisonous substance; he should be seen. All the best. ...Read more
Swallowing a Dime: Usualy a dime will pass through without any ill effects. Are you sure it was a dime - if it was a thin wafer-type battery it could cause lots of harm.? ...Read more
Strawberry: I agree w dr. Wright. If you were going to aspirate it (have it drop into your actual airway) you would have known immediately. It is important to masticate (chew) your food well before swallowing. It is safer & begins the digestion process. ...Read more
Swallowing a dime shouldn't be an issue, and will likely pass without consequence in your bm. See dr if: choked, vomiting, wheezing, abdominal pain.
***not all small objects can be safely allowed to pass in bm. Magnets and button batteries are very serious ingestions, and require immediate treatment to avoid esophageal or bowel perforation. ...Read more
It's ok: It's not. It would have been dangerous if it went through your airway. If it's in your stomach you're fine. This is the case since you're breathing. ;) ...Read more
I think I swallowed a small piece of metal from a can of sauce.! What do I do.? I'm freaking out.?
You're ok: Most foreign body ingestions can be managed conservatively. If you are not sure about having ingested a foreign body, then it could not have been very large. In this case, if it has entered your stomach, it will likely pass in less than four days, probably sooner. If you develop any gastrointestinal symptoms, you can see your doctor. He might order an abdominal x-ray and manage you expectantly. ...Read more
I think I swallowed metal shavings that was in my canned corn. What signs should I look out for if I did??
Nothing special: If you are really concerned eat some stewed okra. It will form a congeal around any foreign objects and make sure they slide through your gut easier. A pedi surgeon friend of mine told me about this decades ago. He hated chasing down screws that kids ate. ...Read more
Odds are that it: Will pass right through you with no problem. Did you know that in order to germinate, a cherry pit needs to pass through the GI track of a bird first. ...Read more
Swallowed a pessary?: This would be very unlikely and not an accident. ...Read more
I would be concerned: That if the beads became tangled in the GI tract that it could cause an obstruction. How drunk does one have to be to accidentally swallow a string of mardi gras beads? If one just swallowed some beads, I woudl say let them pass. However, if it is a string - I would encourage medical evaluation. ...Read more
Generally: Generally you should be ok but sometimes you can have gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pains, diarrhea and things like that, that will go away rather quickly. If you have fever and more symptoms then go to the doctor for an appropriate evaluation as you could have an infection of sorts. ...Read more
Probably will ok: As long as the cigarette doesn't go down the lung, the gastrointestinal tract will clear the swallowed cigarette. ...Read more
I would advise you not swallow dish washing soap. Depending on the chemical makeup of the soap you could suffer bad consequences.
Most bar soaps are non toxic. But some soap can cause symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions and decreased alertness. If you do accidently swallow dishwashing soap make sure you have the national poison control center telephone number handy. Watch those bubbles! ...Read more
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more
Not a good idea: When you say you are swallowing weed smoke, I assume you mean that you are gulping air which contains that smoke. The food pipe (esophagus) and stomach are lined with sensitive cells which are not designed to be exposed to any kind of smoke. Swallowing smoke can irritate the tender lining of those tissues. Also, absorption of chemicals in smoke may have undesirable health effects. ...Read more
Please go to the: Emergency room. You may cause damage if you try to throw it up. The hospital can image where it is and then determine what to do. Peace and good health. ...Read more
Not To Worry: The whole notion that humans swallow from 4 to 8 spiders a year is an urban legend. After a little research is seems that this idea was propagated over the internet along with many other outlandish claims. If you follow the trail back it always leads to a dead end with no data to substantiate it. So don't worry about getting bit by a spider as you swallow it. They can bite other areas. ...Read more
Accidentally swallowed symbicort. Rinsed and garlged afterwards but now I'm getting anxious about it?
- Talk to a doctor online
- Swallowed metal
- Accidentally swallowed betadine gargle
- Accidentally swallowed small
- Toddler accidentally swallowed ibuprofen pill
- Accidentally swallowed a hard piece of candy
- Child accidentally swallowed some neosporin
- Accidentally swallowed a plastic toothpick pick
- What to do if bactidol accidentally swallowed?
- I accidentally swallowed dettol