Doctor insights on:
Accidentally Swallowed A Plastic Toothpick Pick
Will stomach acid dissolve a plastic ziplock type pouch? He accidentally swallowed the tiny plastic bag of candy that was meant to decorate a cookie.
Likely not: The bag is not that easily digested but a small one may well pass through without causing any obstruction. Need to take him to the ER if he starts vomiting and complains of severe abdominal cramps. ...Read more
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of aluminum foil while eating. I'm a breastfeeding mama. Will this hurt baby?
Foil: Nothing will happen.Get a more detailed answer ›
Probably no worry: If he didnt choke on it and he just swallowed it than it should just pass without worry. ...Read more
Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Used metal fork to cook; didn't realise, but melted plastic ziplock bag. Still safe to eat food even if may be tiny bits of plastic?... Or throw?
Plastic: It is likely not harmful to eat the plastic but there is a possibility it could get stuck in your throat and have to be removed so I would start that dish again. All the best. ...Read more
I accidentaly swallowed a large piece of aluminum foil (AF). It was a coffee bottle seal, and thicker than regular kitchen AF. what should i do?
No to worry: This will get churned and crushed (but probably not torn) by the normal action of your GI tract Almost everything small enough to be swallowed can be handled effectively by this efficient system. You will probably find it exiting the other end in 20-40 hours depending upon the activity of your digestion. ...Read more
Electric: I recommend electric toothbrush(sonicare). The vibrations are more effective than the battery. ...Read more
Can rust/burnt food from baking pans and a griddle give you tetanus?I think a piece of rust/burnt food got in my finger.got it out with nail clipper.
Not directly: The issue for tetanus is not the agent that caused a wound in your skin. (although some are more likely than others) The problem is the tetanus spores that can be present in the dust, dirt, environment anywhere and use any open cut to get in and cause tetanus. If you have not had a booster within 10 years it is reasonable to get one soon. ...Read more
I wouldn't: Kids swallow all sorts of debris at various times and if it makes it into the stomach, it will pass without problems. ...Read more
I had a very small minor cut about 1/4 inch from a rusty paper clip. A tiny piece of black dust got stuck in it overnight . Do I need a tetanus shot?
Yes. As a general: rule, if it's small enough to swallow easily, it's small enough to pass through your digestive tract. The exception of course is something that might injure your intestinal tract. A small piece of this type of foil will safely pass through. No worries! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I would be concerned: That if the beads became tangled in the GI tract that it could cause an obstruction. How drunk does one have to be to accidentally swallow a string of mardi gras beads? If one just swallowed some beads, i woudl say let them pass. However, if it is a string - i would encourage medical evaluation. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?
Phillips Sonicare: I would highly recommend phillips sonicare electric toothbrush. I think you can get them at wal-mart, target, or online. Some dentists sell them in their office. The sonicare is more expensive than some of the others, but they are great and will last for years. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Ears pierced w/ a piercing gun & unused studs that came in a sterile sealed box. She wiped the gun with alcohol and water solution. Could I get HIV?
I dropped a small finger sized plastic wrapper onto a burning coal. The plastic burned for a few seconds I heard it sizzle and moved it. Am I okay?
Yes: I assume you are concerned about the fumes from the plastic wrapper. As long as you feel fine, and you didn't inhale a large puff of smoke from the burning plastic, you are fine. If you did, you would have noticed significant coughing and lung irritation. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What would happen if you swallow a toothpick?
- I accidentally swallowed dettol
- Accidentally swallowed betadine throat
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Accidentally swallowed metal
- Accidentally swallowed small
- Swallowed plastic will
- Toddler accidentally swallowed ibuprofen pill
- I accidentally pick my eye with a toothpick