Doctor insights on:
Accidentally Swallowed A Plastic Toothpick Pick
While eating dinner, I accidentally swallowed a small bit of a toothpick. Will it pass normally, or should I be worried.
No worries: It will pass just fine with no problems. Don't worry! ...Read more
About a hour ago, I accidentally swallowed a plastic turtle foot. I feel some pain between my chest and stomach. Help?
While eating with a plastic fork, I accidently bit off one of the sharp ends and swallowed it. Very small. Only like 3mm but it's sharp. Is this ok?
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic (the end of a pen bit but not the nib) I swallowed it and can breathe fine but can feel it (no pain)?
Do not worry: If you swallowed it, not inhaled it, there is no reason to worry. It will come out of the other end on its own. ...Read more
Nothing: Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken. Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it. ...Read more
What will happen if I accidently swallowed a piece of a plastic wrapper from a popsicle? How do I know that it is in my body system? Please help.
Watch for symptoms: When you swallow something that is small usually the body gets rid of it in your stools. However, if the object is significantly large it might cause intestinal obstruction which requires immediate evaluation. You might present with abdominal pain and difficulty passing stools. If you are presenting symptoms please consider going to the ED. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic that came off a tag on a sock & it been in my throats since Monday, I NEED HELP!!
ER: Go to ER they can check your throat visually or get the procedure done by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a small piece of Plastic off an icee wrapper trying to make a small whole what will happen Iam suppose to have a bypass in 3?
It shall pass too: As long as this is not causing a problem with your breathing it is not an emergency and it will get through the gastrointestinal tract without causing any internal damage. Take care. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a fake plastic tongue piercing what do I do? Will it pass or what should I do? I still feel it going down very slow!
It should pass: It is most likely it will pass in the end. The only way you are going to know for sure is to look for it. An x-ray will show it if it still present but is probably overkill without symptoms. ...Read more
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of plastic. I feel fine and didn't choke. Can this cause a disease or will I just poop it out and be fine?
What to do if I accidentally swallowed small pieces of glass? Or plastic? I think it came from my blender? Eat bread and drink water and milk?
Will stomach acid dissolve a plastic ziplock type pouch? He accidentally swallowed the tiny plastic bag of candy that was meant to decorate a cookie.
Likely not: The bag is not that easily digested but a small one may well pass through without causing any obstruction. Need to take him to the ER if he starts vomiting and complains of severe abdominal cramps. ...Read more
Think I accidentally swallowed small pieces of either glass or plastic? What do I do? Eat bread. ..Drink water and milk? Motrin? What would help?
Nothing.: Don't do anything. If symptoms such as bleeding or alarming symptoms develop go to the er. ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed the bar part of my lip ring. It's plastic and it's stuck in my throat. I tried to force it down or force it out nothing works?
Please: Seek medical assistance.Get a more detailed answer ›
Q. Hi, I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and my food had tiny particles of plastic (by mistake) so I am worried; in case I accidentally swallowed some : (?
Don't worry too much: At the risk of sounding trite, 'this too shall pass.' as long as the particles were small and not any toxic material, they will pass out in a few days. Take care of your baby, eat well, don't smoke or drink, as your OB about medicines, and you will be fine! ...Read more
I accidentally swallowed a piece of chipped plastic cup. It got stuck up high in my throat but was dislodged when I ate. It still feels uncomfortable and sometimes painful first in my chest and now in my upper abdomen
You: You should consider seeing a GI doctor who can look down there with a scope and see if it is still scratched. Ask your pcp for a recommendation. ...Read more
I may have swallowed half a toothpick. Do I need to seek additional help or will it pass? I seem to have a minor discomfort in the chest cavity
I: I would consult with your doctor. If it was a smooth object like a penny, it would easily pass with your stool. You may have no difficulty passing it; or it could injure tissue as it trasverses through your GI system. ...Read more
Swallowed plastic: It will pass.Get a more detailed answer ›
I was eating I think I swallow a piece of plastic from a bag where you put food in well I be alright?
I swallowed a tiny piece of plastic from a pen by mistake because, it may have been sharp as it broke off, will this do me harm?
Doubtful: It is unlikely that a tiny piece of plastic will Injure your pharynx, esophagus or intestinal tract if you have no symptoms of discomfort in any of these areas or obvious bleeding or black stools. ...Read more
I think I swallowed a small piece plastic (thats from the noodles) what can I do to make it go down or am I ok.? What should I do.?
Should be fine: This happens often. Don't be concerned. Bread bag ties have gotten trapped in the gut and been found years later. Smaller things pass easily. ...Read more
I swallowed a rectangular piece of plastic about 7mm by 2mm from a disposable food container (recycle 1)? What are the risks? What should I do?
I might have swallowed a 1 cm square plastic piece from a orange juicer in the last 2 days since I saw the breakage only today. What should I do?
Two days ago, I swallowed a small piece of plastic which was broken from a fork I was using. Would it be harmful to my body? Would it get digested?
It could be: Harmful, as if it was sharp, it could have damaged your intestinal tract ranging from your esophagus all the way to your colon. But if it was a very small piece, more than likely it became encapsulated by your stool and at this point, you've likely already pooped it out. You can't digest plastic. At this point, you need to monitor for abdominal pain. If you develop pain reach out to your doc. ...Read more
3yr old swallowed sharp plastic shaped in a "t" about 1" x 1.25".Ped said wait till pass. Any danger symptoms to look for? If doesn't pass, tx options?
Probably will pass: Even odd shaped things swallowed will usually pass. The most important thing is that it did not get stuck in the bak of the throat, but he would be coufging or gagging. Plastic won't usually show up on xray but it is important to make sure it passes in his stool. Rarely things can get stuck in the bowel wall, but unlikely. I have seen open safety pins pass, so look in the stool. ...Read more
Asparagus: For most, a small piece will transit out without difficulty within 3-4 days. If you consume some asparagus, especially in the stringy soupy form, it will form a congeal around the foreign object and soften the edges. Little kids swallow all sorts of stuff and my pedi-surgeon friend used this to help avoid having to go find them surgically. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- I accidentally pick my eye with a toothpick
- What would happen if you swallow a toothpick?
- I accidentally swallowed dettol
- Accidentally swallowed betadine gargle
- Accidentally swallowed metal
- Accidentally swallowed small
- Toddler accidentally swallowed ibuprofen pill
- Accidentally swallowed a hard piece of candy
- What would happen if you accidentally swallowed small pieces of a plastic fork?