Doctor insights on:
Acceptable Carbon Monoxide Levels
My carbon monoxide level was a 5. It said that was the normal level of an average smoker. I'm only 20 and have never smoked. What could this mean?
CO: Smoke marijuana? second hand smoke? methylene chloride solvent/paint thinner? Wood /gas burning stove? Old furnace? Power equipment in confined space . Car running in the garage? Ppoor ventilation. All produce/accumulate carbon monoxide check the furnace for leaks as that often is the culprit. Firemen can check the furnace for CO , and discuss possible sources. f/u/ w/ doc /occupational med ...Read more
How to know if carbon monoxide and oxygen levels are the same at death as they are 6 days after, or does o2 deplete quicker?
Uncertain: We don't know the effects of low level co poisoning over time. It surprises many people to hear that smokers can have 10-12% of their blood saturated with carbon monoxide or even more in heavy smokers. Since it displaces oxygen from red blood cells, there are probably some long term consequences such as premature aging, but it hasn't been studied in a way that we can be certain. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I got blood work done after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered at work and came back with a 2.5 level. Is this a high level for a non-smoker?
Not high, but...: Non-smokers in non-urban, non-industrial areas are probably under 1-2%. People living in urban, industrialized areas can be a little bit higher, so 2-3% sounds ok. Smokers can be at 4-8%, approximately. However, the half-life (how long it takes for a higher level to drop in half) is about 5 hours. The 2.5% could have been there always, or could have been a decrease from a level of 5%, 5 hours ago. ...Read more
Low levels of all: dhea, alkaline phosphase, igm, IgG and carbon monoxide and calcium has gone from 10 to 9.4 in 1 month. Any ideas please?
Husband has end stage COPD also is building up carbon monoxide in his blood his doctor said hes at a toxic level also is sleeping alot what should i?
Incomplete combustio: Generally, it's formed from incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. In chemistry, a hydrocarbon should burn in oxygen to carbon dioxide and water. However, other by-products may form such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen, and sulfur containing compounds. Carbon monoxide is dangerous because it preferentially and more tightly binds to hemoglobin molecules than oxygen. Cells can't use co so they die. ...Read more
50%: This varies, but 50% would be lethal for most people. However, small children, an unborn child, and elderly would be more susceptible to lower doses. Carbon monoxide binds to blood cells causing caboxyhemoglobin which makes the red cell unable to oxygenate. At 10 to 15 % most people will be symptomatic- headache, fatigue, flu like symptoms. As the perecentage increases so do the symptoms. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Eye twitching treatment
- Symptoms for hysterectomy
- Light as a feather stiff as a board
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Complex ovarian cyst cancer
- Kids with copd
- Screening for stds
- Herbal treatment for poor school attendance
- Talk to a occupational medicine specialist online for free