Doctor insights on:
There are different types of herpes infections; herpes simplex infection of mouth (gingivostomatitis) and lips (labialis) are the most common. Others include genital herpes, and herpes zoster. Herpes infection could very mild to very dangerous depending on the type and location of the body affected. I ...Read more
Herpes simplex: Docosanol is an antiviral medication used to treat cold sore infections caused by the herpes simplex virus. Docosanol shortens the healing time and the length of time symptoms are present and is now approved by the fda for treating cold sores on the face and lips. Do not know if the carrier will irritate genital tissues. You could try a tiny area first. ...Read more
I put abreva on my oral herpes, and 30 min later I touched my eyelid with same finger. Is it possible my eye(lid) is effected with hsv-1?
Spreading HSV 1: Yes, it is possible. You must be very careful after touching any active herpetic lesions. It is not uncommon these days to see HSV 1 or 2 in places we used to not see them. If you start having any pain or redness or visual changes in that eye I would be checked by an eye doctor. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How long do herpes blisters on the face take to develop? If i go get abreva will it start to go away?
Herpes: 90% of those who get infected with herpes do not have 'blisters' or other outbreak symptoms. The other 10% have a varied experience and not many get acute sores in the post infection phase. I know you are asking a million questions about this, but there is little to help you with this very difficult virus. Only time will tell if you got infected unless your blood tests show an old infection. ...Read more
I have been using abreva. I have gotten cold sores before. I was just curious if I were to give my boyfriend oral, would he get genital herpes?
What's the chance of getting genital herpes if i went down on a guy when i had a cold sore, but been treating it with abreva for 2 days before oral?
Herpes: First you can only get genital or herpes type two if the person you were with has it. You having herpes one or 'oral' herpes has no relevance here. You can give him herpes by this act if he does not already have the oral form of herpes. And yes, the reason we do not use 'oral' or "genital' anymore is because you can get these viruses where ever you are exposed. ...Read more