Doctor insights on:
Drinking 20oz of magnesium citrate for a colonoscopy prep. What are chances of magnesium overdose?
Define overdose: If you mean high mag levels after mag sulfate I.V. Was given, then you need to know that mag level can be elevated after I.V. Dose, temporarily, until it shifts spontaneously into mag storage. I.E. It is okay to be hi right after I.V. Dose. It is not ok to stay elevated a few days later. Lasix (furosemide) diuresis could correct this under a physician's supervision. It's also is okay to watch it decine on own. ...Read more
Depends on symptoms: The way to recognize mag overdose is blood work that shows increase in values. If the "overdose" caused heart rhythm problems that caused a cardiac arrest, then long term problems are possible. But if "overdose" means increase in blood level, then it is not important. Usually after Magnesium Sulfate infusion, levels in blood go up before they normalize by moving out of blood into storage in cells. ...Read more
Yes: Especially if you have renal/kidney disease. It will also give you a great case of diarrhea. Magnesium is an essential mineral. It is poorly absorbed by the GI tract, thus it's use as a laxative. It is excreted by the kidneys, thus with renal disease, use caution. A good dose (overdose) by mouth will usually just give a really bad case of diarrhea. ...Read more
Magnesium oxide O/D: An overdose occurs when an excessive / dangerous dose of a drug / substance is used. "Symptoms of an magnesium oxide overdose include nausea, vomiting, flushing, low blood pressure, a slow heartbeat, drowsiness, coma, and death." REF: http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/d03797a1 ...Read more
No.: Magnesium sulfate can cause toxicity when infused at excessive rates, however its effects quickly dissipate once the infusion is stopped (excreted via urine rather promptly). In extreme cases of severe toxicity cardiac arrest can occur and result in death or permanent deficits in neurological or cardiac function; this is very rare and exceptional. ...Read more
To remove magnesium: To remove high mag from blood, dialysis or Lasix (furosemide) could be used. Of course, stop magox. Note, side effects from chronic Lasix (furosemide) includes low mag. However, you will need to document first if there is high blood magnesium or do you mean someone took extra magox pills. Using Lasix (furosemide) to correct mag should be under doctor's supervision. Watching hi mag till it trends down on own sometimes is safer. ...Read more
Time: It will run through you (runs) and once through, it's done! the faster the better so that you do not have time to absorb it into the body. If concerned, call poison control or your pcp or if indicated, go to the er. ...Read more
My neurologist put me on250mg of magnesium. If I eat foods high in magnesium can I overdose, while taking this supplement?
I was given an overdose of magnesium during labor.Could that cause behavioral problems with my child?
Clear with your OB: Magnesium sulfate is given for a reason durung labor/delivery, when mom is experiencing symptoms that could hurt her and the baby that are not her fault, nor the doctor's. I suspect there was a nicu crew there to tend to any initial, transient low muscle tone or neurological depression in your baby. There should be no long-term effects from the magnesium. Ask your OB about your experience. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
I was given an overdose of magnesium while in labor.Could the magnesium cause behavioral issues in my child?
Wouldn't think so: The magnesium is in & out of your body in hours and out of babies body in hours to days. If the newborn was so floppy/weak breathing was impaired it would be an overdose in the child. However, this is not known to be a toxin to the nerves that develop and influence behavior in a kid. The high blood pressure you had that led to the med would be more of a worry than the med itself. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
How much magnesium do you absorb from an epson salt bath? If I take 800 mg a day of oral magnesium can the bath daily make me overdose in magnesium?
No: Very little Magnesium is absorbed from topical application while in a bathtub. No the daily bath while taking Magnesium will not make you overdose in Magnesium. Side effect that is commonly found at 800 mg is loose stools. Magnesium is a good remedy for constipation due to its bowel loosening properties. ...Read more
Lots: Babies have fatally overdosed on magnesium, but not adults with normal kidneys. I suppose enough magnesium could cause severe diarrhea and death might result from massive diarrhea and electrolyte depletion and dehydration over many days eventually. But someone would have to be intentionally wanting to do this. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
no harm: Your body will not react to this and it will cause no problems for you. ...Read more
Can you take bisacodyl and magnesium citrate together? I am a 90lb girl and dont want to overdose but struggle with severe constipation
See answer: It is ok to take it once assuming you don't have abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, blood in stool, or other alarm symptoms that would be best evaluated in an ER setting before trying those meds. Another option is to use a fleets enema. Increase your water/fiber intake as well. You may need to see a gastroenterologist for your severe constipation. I hope you get better soon! ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Magnesium supplements overdose
- Diarrhea dizziness with magnesium overdose
- Can you overdose on magnesium?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Magnesium sulfate overdose treatment
- Magnesium oxide overdose
- Magnesium sulfate overdose
- Medicine for magnesium oxide overdose
- Talk to a nephrologist online for free