Doctor insights on:
Cancer is a group of diseases that is characterized by uncontrolled cell growth leading to invasion of surrounding tissues that spread to other parts of the body. Cancer can begin anywhere in the body and is usually related to one or more genetic mutations that allow normal cells to become malignant by interfering with internal cellular control mechanisms, such as programmed cell death or by preventing ...Read more
Extremely rare: The scientific literature describes only case reports (individual cases) of esophagus cancer in teenage years, so it is possible but extremely unlikely. Factors which might increase risk include family history, certain nutritional deficiencies not likely to occur in the us or toxic exposures (lye, n-nitrosamines, etc). ...Read more
Regional spread is b: For most cancers that are localized to their organ of origin(stages-1 and 2) we do quite well and can cure more than 70/80 % of such individuals. Once the tumor has spread to the regional nodes, the prognosis changes drastically such that the cure rates in stage-3 are less than 30/40%. For Esophagus cancer the figures are somewhat worse(25-30%) but not too different than Lung Cancer or stomach can ...Read more
Suspect one year of untreated LRP(silent reflux), now worried about esophagus cancer? What are the chances?
How effective is stenting for patient with 4th stage esophagus cancer at distal esophagus.. My uncle condition after stenting got worsen...
Stenting can help: I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Stenting is usually done to open the esophagus when the cancer makes it hard to get food through. This can be helpful at enabling people to continue eating. However, stenting is not a curative treatment for stage IV cancer. Systemic treatment, such as chemotherapy, is often used to address the disease itself. His worse condition may not be related to the stent. ...Read more
Are there other ways to prevent esophagus cancer other then bland foods ? I tried to eat bland foods all the time many times but couldn’t hack it
Avoid risk factors!: The risk of developing esophageal cancer can be greatly lowered by avoiding certain risk factors. Avoidance of tobacco & alcohol is one of the best ways of decreasing your risk of esophageal cancer. A diet rich in fruits & vegetables & maintaining a healthy weight may also lower your risk. And if you have reflux or Barrett’s esophagus treatment is suggested. I wish you well with your health! ...Read more
if Barrett's esophagus has a 1% chance of esophagus cancer then that means it's 99% chance you won't end up with cancer? Is that 1% lifetime risk?
My dad was given two weeks to live he has stage four esophagus cancer and I was wondering what it would be like for him if he will be in a lot of pain?
Am i'm at a high risk for getting esophagus cancer if i get the Asian glow?Should i give up alcohol entirely?
Yes don't drink: People who consume alcohol have higher incidence of esophageal cancer , asian glow is due to a different reason, when alcohol is consumed , it is metabolized to acetaldehyde then to harm less acetate, the enzyme needed for this is lacking , or rapidly destroyed in some asians , resulting accumulation of acetaldehyde , causes the flush f face. ...Read more
I'm scared of esophagus cancer can my pain from swallowing be that even though I had upper endoscopy 11 months ago and everything was normal?
I have fairly advanced stage 4 esophagus cancer metastezied into the liver. May I have ice cream?
Yes you can: As above.Get a more detailed answer ›
I was diagnosed a few months ago with uterine cancer. Ive also recently discovered by pet scan possibility of esophagus cancer. Uterine spread to eso?
Not common: But possible. Another possibility would be another primary malignancy. Regardless you should discuss at length with your treating oncologist as this is becoming serious. ...Read more
she esophagus cancer 6 chemotherapy over but know scans show contracted gallbladder what treatment next give to patient ?
Diseased gall bladde: Normal gall bladder will contracts after fatty meal and re expands fills with bile, a diseased gall bladder due to recurrent inflammations remain contracted . Next step is giving any symptoms or not, if it is not giving any pain or complications observation & to leave it alone , due to more serious cancer of esophagus ...Read more
my aunt has under gone esophagus cancer treatment & later to that she has developed a hole in esophagus . Any remedy for this conditio?
Esophageal fistula ?: Most likely she the tumor that is eroding into and caused fistula, indicative of advanced cancer, non curable at this stage, various palliative measures are possible to make her comfortable at this endstage , like placing a silicone tube in side , or feeding with gastrostmy tube.And taking help from hospice care and make her life as comfortable as possible. ...Read more
Is it possible to cure esophagus cancer that has spread to liver by receiving a liver transplant?
Absolutely not!: No legitimate studies support the idea, and the immunosuppressive drugs block the immune systems aid in cancer control. Controlling the local disease is poor regardless of local therapy, and there are other sites of potential metastasis. I would not think of it for me if i had this. ...Read more
Esophagus cancer stage 2. How to cure it completely sir? please help me sir. Blood vomit once in a week and consistently persist chest pain.
Cancer esophagus----: I am sure the doctor in charge of his treatment has a plan of treatment which you should find out and share with us. This seems to be an early cancer which may be curable provided the best treatments are used ....which include surgery or radiotherapy combined with chemotherapy. Tell us what the doctor has advised you to do and when is his treatment getting started??? ...Read more
My dad was diagnosed with esophagus cancer. he had a pet scan and they found liver and lymph node cancer. said forth stage. can this be cured?
Doubtful I am sorry: Stage 4 Esophageal cancer has an extremely low 5 year survival rate and cures are typically not seen. Please make sure your father is being treated at an experienced cancer center where clinical trials are present. There are treatments for pain and swallowing problems. At an experienced cancer center there are treatments that can make your father comfortable. Enjoy the time you have with your dad ...Read more
I had endoscopy two months ago (gastritis, gerd, h. Hernia). Problems got worse. Is it possible to develop esophagus cancer in that short time?
Esophagus Ca: Occurs in people that smoke and drink, or are over weight with reflux. The hpv genes are found in some tumors, no clarity of the implication there. It is rare under 40. It is highly unlikely that cancer is the cause of your symptoms at your age. You might seek a second opinion from a medical GI to root out cause. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Pepsin and Cancer : Some well-reviewed studies have linked the action of pepsin, a natural enzyme produced in the stomach to promote digestion of proteins, to increased promotion of some oral and laryngeal cancers. Some popular web sites tout the positive effects of pepsin, while others warn of the over use of anatscids that actually may interfere with digection. It is best to consult a gastroenterologist. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are signs of esophagus cancer?
- Esophagus cancer symptoms
- Esophagus cancer treatment
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Esophagus cancer symptoms and signs
- Causes of cancer of the esophagus
- Is esophagus cancer slow growing?
- Esophageal cancer esophagus disorders
- Talk to a oncologist online for free