Doctor insights on:
Bee Or Wasp Stings
Wilderness care: If in the wilderness - remove the stinger by scraping with a flat edged object. Wash with water & soap if available. You can make a paste of clay-like soil and water and apply to the area. If you have access to ice - apply that. If you have an allergy - use your epi pen and get to emergency care or have emergency care get to you asap. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I don't think so: I have not heard of that. But i would not try to temp a bee to sting me just to test it out. Both cause a release of histamines - so you are likely just to develop more of an reaction. ...Read more
I'm 23 yo and have never been stung by a wasp, bee, scorpion, other stinging insect. Does this increase my likelihood of being allergic if I get stung ?
Allergic Symptoms: Allergic symptoms can include wheezing, chest, tightness, coughing, shortness of breath, throat tightness, slurring of speech, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, feeling weak, fainting & mental confusion as well as hives or swelling of your lips, tongue, throat or mouth. Severe allergic reactions can be treated with self- injectable Epinephrine (epi-pen or ana-kit). Call 911 for help. ...Read more
Remove the stinger: If it is a bee, the first thing to do is remove the stinger, this is best done by using the edge of a credit card to scrape it out. Since the venom sac is attached, you do not want to squeeze it. A wasp on the other hand does not lose its stinger and can sting you several times. Once you have been stung, ice is probably the best remedy. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: One can be allergic to wasp stings and not bee stings. ...Read more
Protein in venom: A person who is allergic to stinging insects has developed an allergy to a protein in the insect venom. These proteins have been well described and include mellitin, hyaluronidase, phospholipase, etc. Why this happens to some people is unclear. Thankfully treatment with venom allergy injections is very successful. ...Read more
See below: For non-allergic people, simple first aid is good. Remove any stingers by scraping off the stinger, place ice to the area for 20" every hour as needed, use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for itch and swelling, Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen for pain, wash the area with soap and water, can use antibiotic ointment over area, and make sure tetanus shot is current (within 10 years). If allergic reac, resp probs, etc. - 911! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See below: Most commonly there is redness, swelling, and warmth at the bite site. The area may also be itchy. And, the size of the involved area tends to increase during the first one to two days. Some people can have very significant swelling, and/or develop an anaphylactic reaction with trouble breathing. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My dad is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but I've never been stung by either. if don't want to find out the hard way. also are allergies genetic? Could I be deathly allergic to bee stings too?
Possibly: Severe allergy to a single thing such as bee stings is not necessarily familial/genetic, but certain families DO have the tendency to be hypersensitive to things (leading to asthma, allergies and eczema). Blood tests are available to see if you also have this tendency towards severe reactions. Ask you doctor about testing for hymenoptera allergies, to be on the safe side. ...Read more
What to do if i just got stung by a bee or a wasp how long does it take to feel allergic reactions?
Immediate: If you are going to have a reaction it is usually immediate. ...Read more
I have never been stung before by a wasp or a bee and i was wondering how do i know if im seriously allergic before getting stung?
Worth knowing ?$$$$: This is a rare but dramatic issue. In theory you will never have such a reaction unless you have been stung before & your body set up to respond that way in the future. You may not remember such an event. You could have an allergist test you for the antibodies that signal such a risk, but it may not be a covered benefit & the tests are costly. ...Read more
I have never been stung by a wasp or bee in my life and i was wondering if im stung for the first time could i get a dangerous reaction ?
If i was to be to be stung be a bee/wasp for the first time could i have a severe allergy reaction ?
It's possible: It's possible to have a severe allergic reaction to a bee/wasp sting. Approximately 2 million Americans are allergic to the venom of stinging insects. Many of these people are at risk for life-threatening allergic reactions. About 50 deaths each year in the U.S. are due to allergic reactions to insect stings. So please be careful and try to avoid being stung. Have a nice day! ...Read more
Could use your help docs! my dad is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but i've never been stung by either. Is there a way to know if i am?
See an allergist: who would take careful history, might perform some tests, either blood tests or skin tests, check aaaai.org or acaai.org for an allergist in your area, if you are at high risk of exposure and not sure what to do till you see an allergist, better keep an epinephrine pen handy, ask your doctor about it, gooluck ...Read more
My stepfather is deathly allergic to bees and wasps but i've never been stung by either. Are allergies genetic?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Wasp bee sting
- Wasp sting vs bee sting
- Wasps vs bees sting
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What to put on a bee or wasp sting?
- What to put on bee sting or wasp?
- Bee vs wasp vs hornet sting
- How do you treat a bee sting or wasp sting?
- Treating a bee or wasp sting