India

have upper back and rt shoulder pain, gets better with rest and massage, pains on touch. chest ct w/o contrast normal, can this be lung cancer?

Dr. Troy Ross
Occupational Medicine 24 years experience
Unlikely: What you describe sounds like a muscle issue. The best thing to do is to try physical therapy. On your own try stretching exercises to mobilize your scapular muscles.
Dr. Steven Simon
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 38 years experience
Should pain &cancer: Shoulder pain is commonly a referral area for diaphragm, gall bladder, or heart pathology. While the ct chest found no pathology, a work up, is indicated due to weight loss. Many other causes than cancer are likely the cause, but a diagnosis is needed. Of course the shoulder and neck should be examined, as well as the entire GI tract.
Dr. Ramon Garcia-septien
No: If ct scan of chest is negative no to most change to have a ca.You pain must likely is for arthitis.Tendinitis or muscle spasm.
Dr. David Kornguth
Radiation Oncology 20 years experience
Likely not cancer: In a 31 year old with shoulder pain, lung cancer is extremely unlikely. If it gets progressively worse over the next 2 weeks see your pcp. Still not likely to be cancer but it can be something your pcp can help you with.
Dr. Jon Spiers
Thoracic Surgery 31 years experience
Doubt cancer.: This sort of pain sounds musculoskeletal. If your doc cannot find evidence of cancer, it is unlikely that it is - so don't try to make it into something it is not! don't you have enough to worry about without adding something unfounded like this?