does iq go up during manic episodes?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Robert Stewart
44 years experience Clinical Psychology
IQ does not go up: During manic periods. In fact, decisions and actions during manic periods are often ill conceived, excessively risky and impulsive.
Answered on Sep 27, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
42 years experience Psychiatry
Mania: I agree with dr. Stewart. In mania, your thoughts are faster and your activity is higher -- but these may not be logical or reality-based. Also your assessment of your own prowess may be inflated because of mood changes -- euphoric "i'm king of the universe, the best there's ever been, " kind of thinking. This does not actually make your iq increase, but can make you "feel" it is.
Answered on Apr 14, 2015