colonoscopy prep concerns? long drive to hospital that morning. what if meds kick in on the way?

Dr. Henry Wodnicki
Colon and Rectal Surgery 40 years experience
Let things happen: Allow nature takes its course.

Are there any side effects to having a colonoscopy?

Dr. Scott Browning
Colon and Rectal Surgery 30 years experience
No: While there are certainly risks to having a colonoscopy (bleeding, injury to the colon wall, or the risks of sedation), these complications are very rare. As for side effects, not really. The bowel prep may exacerbate hemorrhoid problems, but aside from that the day after a colonoscopy should just be a normal day.

When can I eat after my colonoscopy procedure?

Dr. Ronald Kline
Specializes in Colon and Rectal Surgery
Within an hour: Usually you can have fluids in recovery and should be able to eat abreakfast within 2 to 3 hours. This depends on how you feel and if you have any nausea afterward. It would wise to start slowly and avoid greasy and acidic foods initially (eg, bacon sausage, orange juice). Toast, cereal, coffee/tea should be safe. Later in the day you may resume your regular diet.

Do I really need to not eat anything at all before my colonoscopy, or are a few bites of jell-o okay?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Maybe: To be safe ask your endoscopist and /or the anesthesiologist if one is involved in your procedure. But ask days before your procedure to be sure you don't jeopardize their ability to perform the test or the quality of the test.Dont ask on the morning of the procedure!

Is it normal that I need to use the bathroom immediately after having a colonoscopy?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Yes: If you prep was good there would be no stool in your colon for several days, but there may me gas that was instilled into your colon to visualize the colon and the urge to go is probably gas or mucus or residual prep fluids.

What do I need to do to prepare before my colonoscopy?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Variable: Usually a clear liquid diet for the 24 hours prior to the procedure and some type of laxative to effectively clean the colon of all stool to allow a thorough and accurate exam. Check with the doctor performing the colonoscopy as to which prep he prefers or recommends.