do i need to use a condom with the mirena (levonorgestrel) iud?

Dr. Mary Vanko
Mirena (levonorgestrel): Mirena (levonorgestrel) protects against pregnancy , not std.

Do I need to also use a condom with a mirena (levonorgestrel) iud?

Dr. John Kirk
Dr. John Kirk answered
To prevent STDs: Not to improve the pregnancy prevention but always a good idea for sexual transmitted disease prevention. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud is one of the most effective forms of birth control even besting the results of a tubal ligation.
Australia

I have the mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD and recently my boyfriend and I have been talking about not using condoms as we are both monogamous and have been tested?

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Trust: That is a personal decision that you will need to make based on your level of trust in your relationship. Mirena (levonorgestrel) will protect you against pregnancy. There is no risk of stds if you are both negative now and remain completely monogamous.