how to deal with carotid neck pain caused by anxiety?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Erica Bial
Specializes in Pain Management
Cause and treatment: I question if pain is actually coming from your carotid artery? If you have concerns that the pain stems from a vascular problem, you need to see your doctor. There're many things that can cause neck pain, and the underlying problem, which anxiety may be aggravating, needs to be identified to fit the cause to the treatment. If it is anxiety, and your neck is normal, treat that. Sleep, exercise.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
Dr. Sweta Chandela
21 years experience Cardiology
Depends on: Depends on what kind of pain. It seems that you are describing pain in the lateral area of the neck, not actually in your carotid artery. I would recommend to be evaluated for medical therapy for anxiety and you may be a candidate for muscle relaxing medication like flexeril (cyclobenzaprine hcl). Other non-medical therapy can include massage therapy, neck exercises and possibly acupuncture
Answered on Jun 25, 2014
1