what is your opinion on st. john's wort for depression?

Dr. David Geffner
Endocrinology 54 years experience
Negative: There is no good study showing benefit. I have patients who tell me it helped. - this is anecdotal only. Many products on the market have little or no st. John's wort in them.
Dr. Bernadette Onuoha
Positive: Sjw may be helpful in some cases of mild depression. You may need more treatment interventions if your depression is severe.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Its effects have been shown to be not much better than a placebo, but some have made the same claim for antidepressants. I think it is most important to be in the care of a mental health expert to provide guidance and recommend appropriate treatment.
Apr 23, 2012