India
A 22-year-old male asked about a female:

Today my mom noticed dat a small part of her head was bald. she is almost 60 yrars old. please tell me if it something serious.. plzz.

Dr. Gebrehana Zebro (formerly Woldegiorgis)
I do not think it is: Serious . However , you might take her to her doc or dermatologist to determine as to what caused it . Fungal infection , medication , thyroid disease are some of the causes . I also will add psychiatric condition . Good lcuk.
Dr. Candace Spann
Dermatology 21 years experience
Sounds like alopecia areata. Alopecia areata differs from other forms of alopecia in that it can be localized to one small, round patch of hair loss. It is a good idea for her to see her doctor for definitive diagnosis and treatment, as there are many possible causes and treatments. Stress, vitamin deficiency, anemia, and thyroid disorders are a few possibilities.
Sep 13, 2013
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Bald spot: In my experience unexplained small bald spots are usually a sign of a fungal skin infection. This is not serious. But, it may be prudent to get her to her family doctor to make sure.

Last updated Sep 13, 2013