why does my tongue hurt when i swallow?

Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry 43 years experience
Sores, or???: Your tongue could hurt when you swallow because there may be sores on it under it or on the side of it. Also, the tongue is a large muscle and it is possible to strain it like you would your leg muscles. Does your tongue hurt when you eat certain spicy or acidic foods? Does it hurt if you move it with your hand in certain positions or pulling on it? If it persists...Head to md or dmd.
Dr. James Beck
Dentistry 11 years experience
Infection: You are probably coming down with a cold or some other infection. The tongue has lymph tissue in it that becomes inflamed along with your tonsils when you have a bacterial or viral infection. It could be your tonsils rather than your tongue hurting actually. I'd go see your doctor.