I had total thyroidectomy 5 weeks ago and i take 9 calcium 3 vit d3 aday . what does it mean if tour pth is low or a 3. does it mean three gone or wor?

Dr. James Cain
Nephrology and Dialysis 37 years experience
Missing parathyroid: Within the thyroid are the parathyroid glands, you will need calcium supplementation and probable vit d supplements also to combat hypo (low) parathyroidism. You wil also need thryoid hormone. This needs to be monitored by by your physician.
Dr. Michael Wolfe
Head & Neck Surgery 24 years experience
Hypoparathyroidism: This is one of the complications of surgery. The parathyroid glands help to control calcium levels. Low PTH causes calcium to lower in the blood. This can be dangerous if too low. It can take a long time to recover. In my experience, it seems that a patients body will adjust to the lower calcium and you will not always have to take as much supplementation, but you may need high doses until.

Last updated Apr 24, 2015