MI

how long after possible ingestion of a sharp object that caused internal bleeding would you see symptoms? what would they be?

Dr. Scott Welker
General Surgery 27 years experience
Pain, bleeding: If the object poked or cut you, it would hurt. Where the pain is felt can vary according to where the object lodged. Esophagus -> chest pain, colon -> lower abdominal pain. Also, if there was bleeding, you might cough or vomit it up, digest it, or it could be mixed with stool. Many times such objects are metal and show up on x-rays. We can usually fish them out with a scope but sometimes surgery!
Dr. Thomas Wright
Phlebology 29 years experience
Consult a doctor: If you have swallowed a sharp object it could cause bleeding anywhere along your GI tract, from mouth to anus. This is a potentially serious event that should be evaluated and monitored properly.I would either consult your personal physician immediately or present yourself to an emergency room or both. Please seek proper medical attention. This is not the place.