my dermatologist said that the spots on my arm are pigmented lesions and not to worry. can these lesions become cancerous?

Dr. M. Christine Lee
Dermatology 28 years experience
Monitor for change: It's important to perform self-exams on your entire body where you look for either new lesions or changes in pre-existing lesions. Doesn't mean you're getting a skin cancer, just that you might want to have the dermatologist check. You should continue to monitor the pigmented lesions on your arm and if you notice a change in appearance of a lesion then go back to the dermatologist.
Dr. Brian Lawenda
Radiation Oncology 24 years experience
It is possible: Your dermatologist is trained in being able to detect abnormal and potentially dangerous skin lesions, including those pigmented spots. It is important to continue to follow up regularly (every 6-12 months) with the dermatologist or primary doctor for whole body skin checks. Over time your existing skin lesions can change and new lesions can develop.