United Arab Emirates

hi doctor , i'm a diabetes patient and i take metformin 3 times a day so is that mean i'm type two also can i take metformin if i'm type 1?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
Meformin: If you are on metformin (m), you are a type 2 (t2) diabetic, as it is not indicated in treating type 1diabetics. It is unusual for a person your age to have t2. M is usually taken twice daily and you are taking it 3 times a day. You should discuss this dose with your physician (p). You should also have sugar levels that are not elevated. If yours are, perhaps you should discuss Insulin with your p.
Dr. Jared Adams
General Practice 11 years experience
Metformin: Is usually only prescribed for type 2 diabetes, because type 2 is a disease of Insulin insensitivity and metformin increases Insulin sensitivity. Type 1 diabetics make no Insulin at all but still respond well to insulin, so metformin isn't needed. However, mixed type 1 and 2 disease is possible and some doctors will rarely prescribe metformin in type 1 if necessary to reduce high Insulin doses.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Diabetes: You appear to be very confused by your diagnosis. You have type two diabetes. It is not just the elderly that get this common problem. Yes, metformin is a common starting point for the treatment of diabetes type two.
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Diabetes: You can take metformin for type 2 diabetes but not for type 1 diabetes, which is solely Insulin dependent.