my father was diagnosed with systemic sclerosis. should i be worried for him?

Dr. Farhan Tahir
Rheumatology 22 years experience
Timely help is key: Systemic sclerosis remains a challenging disease in the field of rheumatology where struggle for a cure or even targeted therapy is ongoing. Most patients donot have adverse outcome but in case of lung and kidney involvement prognosis can be poor. There are many other areas of the body affected by it but they don't seem to be dangerous rather patient lifestyle and medication can help.
Dr. John Goldman
Rheumatology 55 years experience
Not necessarily: Although genetic factors may play a role in scleroderma it does not necessarily run in families. It is a memebre of the connective tissue family. Other causes such as viruses ahve been suggested and other environment exposures such as chemical solvents and there is a vinyl chloride scleroderma like syndrome. The etology is not known and thus your father's scleroderma may not