are there lifestyle changes that really make getting rhinitis less likely?

Dr. Gary Steven
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 30 years experience
Not really: If you are genetically predisposed to allergic rhinitis, reducing your exposure to common allergens might help, but the catch-22 is that you won't know which allergens you will react to until you start developing signs of allergic rhinitis. Irritant rhinitis can improve by limiting exposure to irritants such as perfumes and chemicals in your environment; avoid infectious rhinitis with good hygiene.
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 51 years experience
Yes: Most rhinitis is related to allergy (and sometimes colds). So an allergy friendly environment is very important - especially in the bedroom where people spend about 8 hours a day in there most "allergically" vulnerable state. So - cover mattress box spring and pillow with special encasings, no rugs, keep pets out of that room and windows closed during pollen season.
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven commented
Not that I would disagree with this advice, but I always recommend seeing an allergist for skin testing before making any environmental modifications. If you aren't allergic to dust mites, pets, or pollens, these interventions are simply inconveniences that won't help you.
Mar 14, 2012
Dr. Arvind Madaan
Allergy and Immunology 29 years experience
Agree with Dr. Steven - "targeted and meaningful avoidance."
Mar 19, 2012