What are the long-term effects of bulimia and even if you brush your teeth right after vomiting, will they still rot?

Dr. Denny Cho
Acid erosion: It is important not to brush your teeth immediately after vomiting. Immediately after vomiting, the acids from your stomach weaken the outer layer of your tooth. If you brush right away you will brush off the softened enamel. Your body needs to neutralize the acid first. I would brush an hour or two after vomiting or try not to make yourself vomit.
Dr. Martin Hirsch
Dentistry 49 years experience
Teeth: I'm a dds so my answer regards your teeth only. Brushing your teeth right after an incident will definitely decrease your chances for tooth destruction but not eliminate it. Use a daily over the counter Fluoride rinse and get Fluoride treatment when you get your teeth cleaned.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Bulimia and teeth: Stomach contents are very acidic and caustic to your teeth. The effect is time dependent. In other words, the longer the acids are in contact with your teeth, the more tooth destruction. However, it is not advisable to brush right after. The tooth bristles along with the acids, erode away the teeth. Rinse immediately and then brush 20-30 minutes later. Also discuss this issue with a dds and md.

Last updated Aug 16, 2020