United Kingdom

I was raised as a vegan, i've never eaten meat, fish, pork or chicken in my life, and i've been anaemic for months, what foods should i eat?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine 73 years experience
Vegan diet: Sometimes winds up with iron deficiency anemia. Get local help to dx.
Dr. Alex Golden
Pediatric Cardiology 22 years experience
Depends on cause.: You need to check out why you're anemic. Most common cause would be iron deficiency, but could be B12 deficiency as well, which is very dangerous. All vegans need to take 1000 mcg of B12 a day in the form of cobalamin. There are other causes of anemia that have nothing to do with diet, so get yourself checked out to figure it out. Once you know the cause, you can figure out what foods to increase.
Pathology 44 years experience
This is very serious: I hope that if you continue with the vegan lifestyle, it will be an informed adult decision rather than what was forced on you as a kid. I'm even more concerned that you're diagnosed with anemia and after several months don't have an explanation. Demand that your physician explain the entire workup.

Last updated Feb 2, 2015