U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

can stress cause my breast milk to dry up?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Pediatrics 36 years experience
Yes: Major stress can certainly diminish breastmilk supply. However, there are things that can be done to counteract the effects of major stress. Drink tons of water (or other non-caffeinated clear liquid) and use fenugreek, an herbal preparation which helps increase milk supply. Dealing with the stress, itself, will also help -- for instance, counseling, yoga and relaxation exercises.
Dr. Ali Hallaj-pour
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: Human and animal studies have shown that physical and emotional stress can reduce milk production short term. The effect of chronic stress on breast feeding is not fully understood. Breast feeding is actually relaxing for most mothers so you should continue breast feeding to help relieve the stress if at all possible. The more the breast is stimulated the sooner your milk supply is back to normal.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership

Similar questions

A 34-year-old member asked:

Is it normal for EKG and stress tests to be normal after stent & 2 angioplasties were done?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Vardhan Reddy
Vascular Surgery 36 years experience
Yes/no : 85% chance of being abnormal. And it can be normal in 15%of pts.
A 42-year-old member asked:

What causes chest pain when taking deep breaths and when swallowing food?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gutti Rao
Hospital-based practice 46 years experience
Several: You should not have chest pain when taking a deep breath or on swallowing. You better get checked.
A 34-year-old member asked:

Is it normal to have chest pain after running?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gutti Rao
Hospital-based practice 46 years experience
Not normal: Unusual to have CP after running, you may be short of breath. If you have this consistently you better get checked.
A 52-year-old female asked:

Having pains to my ribs right side and sorness to touch?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery 40 years experience
Many things: Trauma is usually obvious, fracturing the ribs or bruising the soft tissue in the area. Inflammation can occur without trauma. If there is a rash and you had chicken pox in the past, it could be shingles (herpes zoster). Sometimes tumors will involve the ribs and lead to fracture and pain. If pain does not improve with over the counter medication and time or is severe, see your primary doctor.
A 29-year-old member asked:

Can raynaud's syndrome caused by emotional stress?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bradley Thomas
Vascular Surgery 19 years experience
It can trigger it: Environmental triggers such as exposure to cold is more common. However, stress can also be a trigger and lead to the symptoms of reynauds. If your symptoms are bothering you significantly you should be seen by your doctor. Vascular surgeons, rheumatologists, and many primary care doctors can help you deal with this disorder.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
membership
Last updated Jan 19, 2017

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.