Glenview, IL

will i be able to do winter sports if i dislocated my knee a week ago.when will i be able to walk normally?i have school in a week and a half

Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 34 years experience
Knee Dislocation: Sounds like you mean knee cap dislocation. Normal recovery is 4-6 weeks with relative rest, meds, eliminating recurrent injury, and determination of initial cause of patellar dislocation. It is reasonable to believe that you should be able to participate in winter sports.
Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery 25 years experience
Unilikley: Really depends on what exactly you dislocated? Kneecap or truely the knee? A knee dislocation is a severe injury often associated with multiligamentous injury and will typically be treated with surgery. Short answer for this is no. A kneecap dislocation if a first time can be rehabbed and possibly try to return to sport in 4-6 weeks but if occurs repeatedly may require surgery.