my brother was diagnosed with phlebitis. any tips or suggestions for him?

Dr. Michael Korona
Interventional Radiology 33 years experience
Warm compresses: For 10 min at a time a few times a day. Advil (ibuprofen) as directed for pain if he can take that medicine. If swelling gets worse need ultrasound to check for deep vein clot.
Dr. Ted King
Proper evaluation: Although phlebitis is usually not a dangerous condition, it certainly is painful. Fortunately with proper treatment, the pain shouldn't last more than 2-3 days. The important thing though is to make sure that someone with phlebitis is evaluated with ultrasound to look at the underlying deep veins. Phlebitis is associated with deep vein clots (dvts) nearly 25% of the time.
Dr. Christopher Bulger
Vascular Surgery 23 years experience
NSAID ancompression : While compression stockings and anti-inflammatory medication is first line therapy in treatment, a complete evaluation for risk factors and an ultrasound duplex should be performed to evaluate for proximity and or involvement of the deep veins.