is it safe to diet and lose weight while breastfeeding?

Dr. Kevin Windisch
No: Your body needs proper nutrition while breast feeding. Attempting to loose wieght during this time risks your becoming malnourished.
Yes: "dieting" is not needed, as long as the breastfeeding woman eats only as many calories as needed to maintain her normal (pre-pregnant) weight. For example, if she was 120 pounds before pregnancy and is now 145 pounds, she should eat just enough for a 120 lb woman. Her 25 lb excess will be gradually used up in the production of breastmilk (25 ounces of breastmilk contains about 500 calories).
Dr. Pouya Shafipour
Absolutely: Usually when breastfeeding, you need 300-500 calories extra per day which is not much. You are absolutely encouraged to exercise and be on a healthy, wholesome diet to help with some fat loss to get to your pre-pregnancy weight.